Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Heat pump setback
    I'm sure this question may have been brought up many times, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. For many years I have been told that setting back a heat pump in a residential situation is not going to save any energy, and perhaps be more energy wasteful. I'll pose the question as simply as possible. I usually heat my home to 69 degrees. I am considering a set back to 64 or 65 degrees for two different periods. In the morning, at 5 AM:, bringing the temp up to 69 degrees. At 7 AM, lowering it until 3 PM... then bringing it back to 69 until 10 PM, then back to 64 or 65 degrees. And at 5 AM resuming the cycle. Is the 4-5 degree setback worth doing? Is the recovery time more costly than what the setback saves? I am of the opinion that the setback really doesn't save anything. I am somewhat aware of the concept of thermal mass, and I think that because of that the heat pump may run more to overcome that situation when bringing the house back up to the higher setting.

Anyone have a difinitive answer?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Setting the temperature back will always save energy. The problem with heat pumps is that they may not be able to bring the house to the temperature that you would like at the time you would like it. This is going to depend on the outside temperature. You must prevent emergency heat from coming on to save energy.

Thermal mass generally rears it's ugly head when during the day the house is absorbing a lot of heat and when the sun goes down, the heat from the mass of the house shows up on the inside where you don't want it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

Why does my air handeling coil freeze up when the heat pump is in heat mode? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL 1200 heat pump. When in the heat mode the air handeling coil freezes up, enough to block the air flow. I can turn the heat pump off and leave the air handeling unit air circulating fan on and get the ice melted. After 30 minutes or so I can turn the heat pump back to the on...

Heat pump setback thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have used setback thermostats for many years, but now I live in a home with a heat pump rather than a gas furnace. I understand that setting back the thermostat, then calling for heat will energize the emergency / auxiliary heat. Is the savings obtained by setback enough to overcome the...

Ductless A/C with Heat Pump - Heat pump does not come on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The A/C works great but in the morning when its cool outside and I switch on the Heat the indoor unit makes a clicking sound and the fan stays off - after about 8 minutes I switch to A/C I get a rush of ice cold air along with some mist. Seems like when I switch to heat the indoor unit...

View more questions Search