Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thurrle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Straight through v.s. reverse cables
    When making a telephone line cord, the sequence of wires is reversed - e.g. yellow to the right side of an RJ-11 at one end, to the left side at the other end. Is this arrangement called "straight through"?

I am making a batch of RJ-11, 4 conductor cords that will connect a computer to a internet terminating device that sits on the desk in a hotel room. These cords are to be "straight through". Does this mean that the sequence of wires is as above, or that it is opposite to what is used for voice having yellow to the right side of the RJ-11 at both ends?

Thanks very much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2006, 06:59 AM
    See if this site helps:

http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Great site Scottgem, saved it.
    If I understand, What you have is straight through. Ridge on line cord is same side as disconnecting clip. Colors would be reversed.
    Some companies Using line cord will reverse. (Looking at both rj 11 side by side will be identical colors). I think they do this, so if you use regular phone cord for replacement, it won't work, You have to call them$. Best to check couple of line cords, verify and duplicate.
    The ridge will help.
    On a phone it will reverse polarity, Best to make correctly, even though they will work on most phones.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

May 25, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Straight through cables should be the same on both ends. If the cables reverse on one end, it would be a modified crossover cable since you are only using 2 pairs. (4 wires) This sounds similar to a T1 wiring setup. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Here is picture of what I am trying to say.
    RJ11/RJ45 Modular Line Cord 3m - Elecdata Online - Network Cables, Fibre Cables and Connectors, Patch Panels, Keystone Jacks, IEC Power Cables, Cat 5E and Cat 6 Keystone Jacks, Structured Cabling, Network Cabling
    Again, Ridge on cord will help orientate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat 7 Vs Cat6 cables [ 3 Answers ]

I know the CAT 7 has performance better than CAT 6 cables. I know the connectors and priferal equipment of using with CAT 7 should be specially designed to to impair the cat 7 performace. But what problem may I face if I want usiong the Data cable cat 7 instead cat 6 cable in a system designed for...

Straight or gay? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and ia

Can I get something straight? [ 11 Answers ]

All right, I have heard a few things, if anyone can clarify it would be most appreciated. Is one considered to still be a virgin as long as they have not had an orgasm as the result of penetration, or is any sexual activity resulting in an orgasm considered sex and therefore= loss of virginity?...

Msg: Please check the signal cables [ 9 Answers ]

The power supply on my computer is fried.. terrible smell, etc. I installed another power supply and the computer lights up and it shows activity on the Hard Drive but it never boots up. It just runs and runs. I get a message on the monitor to "check the signal cables" and nothing else... no...

Rca cables in cd player/amp [ 1 Answers ]

Well I think I have a good reason why my amp tweeters do not work, they are hooked into the channel 3/4 ports, well my amp is hooked to my cd playere with only 2 rca cables which allows me two channels, I want 4 channels so is there a way I can get another set of rca cables coming from my cd player...

View more questions Search