Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alphamare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Deposit on Horse Trailer dealer sold it
    Hi, I live in New York State. On April 1st. I put an $1800. Deposit on a horse trailer with the full purchase price being $4750. The trailer was at a body shop having some warranty work done on it. I was given until April 15th to pay for the trailer and pick it up. I contacted the dealer on April 10th to let them know I was all set to pay for the trailer. I was then given many stories that the trailer was not finished, the manufacturer now wanted more money, the list goes on how they stalled me for the last 2 weeks. Today I found out where the body shop is and contacted them myself to find the trailer was sent to the dealers who sold it to someone else. I have a receipt for my deposit which includes the VIN on it. They never have cashed my deposit check but my receipt shows check number, amount, as well as total purchase price. The purchase price was below what it normally would be because it was taken in needing warranty work for a faulty paint job which was fixed. To buy the same trailer would cost me about $2,000. More. Do I have any recourse against this trailer dealer?

Thanks for any advice.
    Farmerjohn692000 Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Apr 24, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamare
    Hi, I live in New York State. On April 1st. I put an $1800. deposit on a horse trailer with the full purchase price being $4750. The trailer was at a body shop having some warranty work done on it. I was given until April 15th to pay for the trailer and pick it up. I contacted the dealer on April 10th to let them know I was all set to pay for the trailer. I was then given many stories that the trailer was not finished, the manufacturer now wanted more money, the list goes on how they stalled me for the last 2 weeks. Today I found out where the body shop is and contacted them myself to find the trailer was sent to the dealers who sold it to someone else. I have a reciept for my deposit which includes the Vin number on it. They never have cashed my deposit check but my reciept shows check number, amount, as well as total purchase price. The purchase price was below what it normally would be because it was taken in needing warranty work for a faulty paint job which was fixed. To buy the same trailer would cost me about $2,000. more. Do I have any recourse against this trailer dealer?

Thanks for any advice.
    I would contact a lawyer, or go to the dealer and go wild and get your money back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Ask the dealer to sell you another one for the agreed to price, if he will not, sue him for the price it will cost for a similar trailer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerjohn692000
    i would contact a lawyer, or go to the dealer and go wild and get your money back.

He didn't lose any money - they never cashed his check.

Ask the dealer to make the same deal on a similar trailer; if they won't, go to Court for the difference between what you paid him and what you have to pay for a similar trailer somewhere else.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Do you have a receipt or a contract? Does the Receipt state that it's a deposit towards the sale (with sale price)?

If you can prove that they accepted your deposit towards the purchase of this vehicle, then sold it out from under you, then you very well may win in small claims court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horse trailer living quarters [ 5 Answers ]

I am doing the L\Q's in my trailer. After installing the insulation can I screw the panelling directly to the aluminum tubing or should I put a strip of wood over the tubing first? I heard without the wood stripping the condensation off the tubing will cause the panelling to rot. If that is the...

How to Become a bike dealer [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to start a small shop to sell Atv's, Dirt bikes, Motorcyles, etc, Where do I start? Do I need to ask the dealers to become a dealer first. Or can I just do it.

Dealer Sold The Car I Had A $1000 Deposit On [ 7 Answers ]

I put $1000 down for a dealer to take a vehicle off the market while I got financing for it. I had 30 days to pay or the car could be sold to someone else and I lose my $1000. I gave them the money and the paperwork was drawn up. I called today to let them know my status and apparently, the guy...

Deposit on auto contract signed - but dealer can't locate car [ 5 Answers ]

I just signed an contract for a new 2007 tiburon, I got the GT v6 with the sun and sound package, and I am ONLY looking for black/black, I put a 1,200 deposit on the car.. it says its non refundable, if I cancel... but what I want to know is what if the dealer can't find the car. How long do I have...

View more questions Search