Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawn09 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Opening jpeg files
    I am trying to open a file I downloade from metmania.com, it is a paper model you can print, cut and fold of race cars. I was doing this fine until I switch my default settings to open these files with adobe reader but do not know how to switch back to a program that can read this type of file. Adobe reader says "cant open, file is not supported or has been damaged(for example, was sent in email and wasn't decoded correctly). What program opens this type file? I was doing fine until I changed to adobe reader. You save to temporary file but when I try to open this file I get the error message. How do I open them so I can read or print the material?
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
    How to change which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP or alternatively if you go to start>>all programs>>accessories>>paint you will get Microsoft paint, then just file>>open and browse to the file you want to open
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 24, 2008, 11:16 AM
    This might be useful:
    Windows XP File Assocation Fixes

I've used it before, it seems to work pretty well. Just scroll down to JPG and follow the instructions.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Apr 24, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn09
    i am trying to open a file i downloade from metmania.com, it is a paper model you can print, cut and fold of race cars. i was doing this fine until i switch my default settings to open these files with adobe reader but do not know how to switch back to a program that can read this type of file. adobe reader says "cant open, file is not supported or has been damaged(for example, was sent in email and wasnt decoded correctly). what program opens this type file? i was doing fine until i changed to adobe reader. you save to temporary file but when i try to open this file i get the error message. how do i open them so i can read or print the material?
    The answer tomterm8 gave is correct for jpeg files. If Paint isn't opening the file as an image, then the problem is the file isn't a jpeg file.

You can also change the association to another graphic program. I highly suggest the free program Irfanview. When you install Irfanview, it will ask if you want it to be the default viewer for your image files, say YES. Then when you double click on any image file, it will open in Irfanview.

Apr 24, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill
    The answer tomterm8 gave is correct for jpeg files. If Paint isn't opening the file as an image, then the problem is the file isn't a jpeg file.

You can also change the association to another graphic program. I highly suggest the free program Irfanview. When you install Irfanview, it will ask if you want it to be the default viewer for your image files, say YES. Then when you double click on any image file, it will open in Irfanview.
    OK I have figured out some of the problem. Basically I downloaded winzip to download and open the files with but I am still not sure if they are jpeg files or just zip files?

Apr 24, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomterm8
    How to change which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP or alternatively if you go to start>>all programs>>accessories>>paint you will get microsoft paint, then just file>>open and browse to the file you want to open

Thank you all who have given helpful advice and who answered back with questions I had.

Apr 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
    ok i have figured out some of the problem. basically i downloaded winzip to download and open the files with but i am still not sure if they are jpeg files or just zip files?
    There is no such thing as "just zip files". Zip is a way to compress and save some other type of file (or group of files) so that the file is smaller and compact for faster and easier uploading, downloading, etc. Zip files are always some other type of file inside. Use Winzip to "extract" the files inside and save them to your Desktop or to My Documents. From there you should be able to double click on the jpeg files and have them open in your image software.

Apr 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill
    There is no such thing as "just zip files". Zip is a way to compress and save some other type of file (or group of files) so that the file is smaller and compact for faster and easier uploading, downloading, etc. Zip files are always some other type of file inside. Use Winzip to "extract" the files inside and save them to your Desktop or to My Documents. From there you should be able to double click on the jpeg files and have them open in your image software.
    Your right and that's exactly what I did. They are jpeg files. I just used winzip like you said. What I still haven't figure out is that I was opening these files just fine with what ever default settings my computer was set with and then when I couldn't print them large enuff I switched my settings to open the file with adobe reader hoping that I would be able to print them larger. Adobe couldn't open the files and I can't find any other program to open jpeg files with on my computer. That's why I downloaded winzip. I guess my question now is, shouldn't I have a program already installed that will open these files. I tried the paint shop and it only shows the file incoded to text not the actual picture and like I said I was downloading jpegs fine before I switched to adobe reader to open these files
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Win XP has built in support for ZIP files. They show up as a compressed folder in Windows Explorer. Unless you change the association for ZIP files. When you download one, it should display the contents of the ZIP file from which you can double click the file to open with its associated program.

Apr 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Win XP has built in support for ZIP files. They show up as a compressed folder in Windows Explorer. Unless you change the association for ZIP files. When you download one, it should display the contents of the ZIP file from which you can double click the file to open with its associated program.
    I'm operating windows vista. Should be the same though right? Then how do I go about opening these files so I can uninstall winzip?

Apr 25, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Yes Vista also has built in supprot for ZIP files. Uninstall Winzip then use System Restore to go back to before you changed the association.

Apr 25, 2008, 01:12 PM

You have been tremendous help. I don't want to have to purchase any software though. Thanks for the links. I have Microsoft office, works and all that stuff that should open these files. Guess I'm not computerliterate enuff to figure it out without someone pointing the way. Thank you again for your help

Apr 25, 2008, 02:13 PM
    IrFanview is freeware and a great tool for viewing image files.

Apr 25, 2008, 02:42 PM
    irFanview is freeware and a great tool for viewing image files.
    OK, ill make note of that and when my 45 day trial run of winzip is up ill give it a try. Thanks again.one more thing. When I save these type files they go to a temorary file and I save them in my documents is there any other way I can open them.shouldnt corel draw open these files up just fine? When I click to open I am prompted to "open with what application? And I still have found nothing on my computer other than winzip to open them with.

Apr 25, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Go back to the links you got in the first responses. They explain about associations and how to set them. Somehow you blew out your associations and you need to fix them.

Apr 25, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Go back to the links you got in the first responses. They explain about associations and how to set them. Somehow you blew out your associations and you need to fix them.

All right ill see what I can do with it, thank you for your help, it may take me a little bit to let you know if I get my problem corrected but I will be sure to do so. Thank you again

Apr 25, 2008, 05:02 PM
    ok, ill make note of that and when my 45 day trial run of winzip is up ill give it a try. thanks again.one more thing. when i save these type files they go to a temorary file and i save them in my documents is there any other way i can open them.shouldnt corel draw open these files up just fine? when i click to open i am prompted to "open with what application? and i still have found nothing on my computer other than winzip to open them with.
    Irfanview and WinZip are programs that do entirely different things. WinZip is for opening .zip archives. You *should* have a built-in zip program as part of Vista.

Irfanview is for viewing and editing jpegs. It's a great image editing program and it's totally free. Even though your problem seems to be about the .zip file issue, you will come out of this with a solution you didn't know you needed, a really amazing image editing program. Download Irfanview and see!

Apr 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
    I think he needs to know what program to "re-associate" zip files with when he tries the links posted in the first answer. I don't have Vista so I can't walk through that for him. Can you do that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook won't open .jpeg files [ 1 Answers ]

I have started having trouble opening .jpeg attachments on email. This has only started happening yesterday, and I haven't changed anything or loaded anything on my PC for weeks. When I click on the attachement I get the usual pop-up asking if I want to open or save the file, when I choose either...

Jpeg to that files [ 2 Answers ]

My prospective client is receiving my jpegs as .dat, and therefore cannot open up the file. What does he need to do to open to view the files? I am running apple mac osx and I presume he has a P.C. This problem has not happened in the past. Thanks

Show .jpeg files on CD on my TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a CD full of .jpeg files (photos) that I would like to display on my TV. I tried showing them on my DVD player but the files were too large and it displayed pictures painfully slow. Is there a reliable device that can use to show my photos on the TV? (they are no longer in the...

Jpeg files being received as .that [ 7 Answers ]

I have a friend who receives my jpegs as .dat, and therefore cannot open up the file. What does he need to do to open to view the files? We are both running WinXP. Thanks

Trouble with jpeg files [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a HP computer witho Windows ME. All jpeg files saved or emailed turn into (Quicktime?). Each picture has a box with the Apple Logo. Computer hangs up (blue screen) and has to be rebooted every time a picture file is attempted to be opened. This happens even if the file is saved...

View more questions Search