Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Apr 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Installing over the range microwave
    My husband and I are doing basic remodeling (painting kitchen cabinets, installing new appliances, adding new flooring, painting walls) We took out our old range hood and have decided to replace it with an over the range microwave. When taking down the old range, we discovered that it was hardwired (black, white, and grounding wires). The over the range microwave we are planning on buying is a plug in.

Would it be possible for me to just use the wires that were used for the range hood and add an electrical outlet? I've done some basic wiring before (adding new vanity lights and a bathroom light/exhaust fan), but am not sure if this is possible. Our condo is only about 10 years old so the wiring that is in there is pretty new.

Thanks

Shell
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
    In most cases there is a cabinet above the microwave and this is where you would create a grounded receptacle for the plug. If venting to the outside you will also run a round duct through this space. Do you own the condo or rent?

Apr 24, 2008, 09:14 AM
    We own the condo. There is no venting. The range hood that was there before was just a recirculating fan. This is also what we plan to do with the over the range microwave.

I would add a new outlet in the cabinet above the range but need to know if the wires that ran to the old range would work for adding the outlet?

Apr 24, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Check the circuit breaker for that old line. It needs to match or exceed the microwaves needs. It would be quite rare to find that these wires are not sufficient. Most mics run on a 15 amp line and that is the minimum that you would have.

Apr 24, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Thanks ballengerb1 - I'm pretty sure that they are sufficient then.

Apr 24, 2008, 10:26 AM
    I am sure you will check the breaker just as a precaution, pretty sure may not be enough toavoid a costly error.

Apr 24, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Oh yes - I will be checking the breaker when I get home this evening.

Apr 24, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I recall the last one I installed actually required a dedicated 20 amp line so carefully read the installation manual that came with the micro. When you egt ready to hang it come back here. There are some tricks or short cuts to installing these, you will need an inexpensive stud finder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a space saver microwave over a range [ 4 Answers ]

I need to install a microwave spacesaver above the range. What kit would I need to purchase to install the microwave (GE brand) and also if it is to be attached to the bottom of the cabinet with the rear being attached to the sheetrock (wall) what would I need to set up the exhaust?

Installing over the range microwave with old vent [ 4 Answers ]

Helo! We want to install an over the range microwave, where an old double oven GE range used to be. The cabinet above the new range has a huge hole with part of the old vent coming out. We are not sure what to do about this hole, or if a vent will be needed for a new microwave going in. We...

Installing range microwave over island counter. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a microwave over our stove, which happens to be on an island. I was told you cannot do this. I am not going to be using a standard cabinet. I will be building the cabinet entirely out of 3/4 material (to include the back), everything will be srcewed and glued together. I will...

Over the range microwave [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently in the process of upgrading the appliances in my kitchen. I was wondering what the minimum distance between the top of the range and the bottom of the over the range microwave would be. Also as a side note, I am curious as to what major appliances require an extended warranty? ...

Installing an Over the Range microwave [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to install an over the range microwave, but the area I have to work with is only 13" from the bottom of my cupboard to the top of my range. Any ideas?? Nancy:

View more questions Search