Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aanderson81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Nasty Collector Refuses Payment
    We have been dealing with this awful woman for months now, with threats of garnishment, imprisonment, and generally nasty insults. After a call this morning, we decided to just use our income tax check to pay off the debt completely. However, when we told her that would be sending her a post dated check for 30 days from today's date for the entire amount, rather than a partial payment for today's date, she refused the payment altogether and began to threaten some more. If I send the payment in full anyway, will they still refuse it and send it back? And if they do send it back, what can I do from there to avoid being prosecuted?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2006, 02:34 PM
    First off, you can't go to jail for not paying a bill.

Second, why are you bothering to send her a post dated cheque? Why not just wait until you have the money and then send it.

I am under the impression that the US Banks will cash cheques at any times, whether they are post dated. I need someone else to clariffy that point for me though.

Either way, don't send the cheque until you have the money to send.

Just ignore her.

Let me stress. You can NOT go to jail over this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Post dated checks do not have to be accepted. Many places take them but other places will not. In some states they are not considered legal

Next of course you should not even be talking to them on the phone, never, never did I say never. Next of course you can't go to jail, this is a lie and if they are nasty, then they are not a company I would want to do business with. I would rather call the orgnial lender and pay them ( that way the collection firm won't get any money from the deal.

Next I would tell them to... ( then go to confession of course) and not pay them anything till the check comes in and I can pay them in full without it being post dated, ( what if the income tax does not come back in 30 days)

What is the worst they can do, file a legal action against you to try and get a judgement and then a garnishment ( I doubt they could do it in 30 days)
    I would refuse to accept any calls form them and make them only communicate with you in letters. You will see that there is no threats and that they will accept all sorts of payments that way.

And once I had the full amount in my pocket I would not give it to them then either. I would offer than 1/2 and no more than 3/4 to settle the account in full. ( or I would go to the original lender and offer them that, since they are losing at least 1/4 to 1/2 to the collect agency anyway.)

If you send a post dated check, or they "change the date" they could run it though, if the bank don't catch the date it will come back
    With bank charges and then they will threaten you for real with criminal charges of a bad check plus add all sorts of extra charges.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 05:59 AM
    If you send payment for an account and they refuse, they have dishonor the account. Put them on notice of the dishonor, this will cause any problem for them if they take you to court. By you tender of payment you are in a position of honor. All this can be found under the UCC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nasty headache with other issues [ 9 Answers ]

Anyway, I get severe migrains almost every month it seems... Ill be out for a few days, where I can't do anything. Anyway, after the migrain attack Im usually fine and can get back to normal business... but after my recent migrain attack I have had a severe lingering headache that's almost a...

Nasty debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a large CIBC Visa bill, in which they have cancelled me collections and I sent CIBC 6 post dated cheques for $250.00@ for the 15th of each month. I am unemployeed and have other debts as well. I received Unemployment insurance and when I explained this to the collection agency they advised...

Collection agency refuses payment/papers filed [ 1 Answers ]

For the past six months I have been making monthly payments to a collection agency. Was told if I don't triple the amount I was sending, the agency was going to sue me. For four months the agency would call me at work and ask if I was going to triple the payment, if not they were going to sue....

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search