Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hils63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 10:19 AM
    How do I stop some programmes at start up
    I keep getting an internet site starting up When I start up the computer how do I stop it
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Go to Start>Run and type in MSConfig. You can see what is loading at startup. Uncheck what you don't want.
    SC-tbfd Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Depending on the nature of the site that opens there is a good chance you have some type of spyware on your system. You can try downloading spybot sd from safer networking and adaware from lavasoft. Both are free and pretty good at getting rid of most spyware.
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 05:55 AM
    I think that everyone with spy ware problems should DL BitDefender's 30 day trial. It is awesome at finding all the rooted spy ware progs and giving you a chance to find and delete them. It has a deep scan that scans the regs, sped up my PC!

Free Anti Virus Downloads - BitDefender
    r-soles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Download ccleaner from Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com. Everything from that site is safe.

It has many features from cleaning up old empty files that you can't see, from repairing the registry. One feature in particular is that if you go to tools it will show you all the programmes that start up when you put your computer on. It gives you the ability to delete them but only from the list and not from your computer, for example I've deleted MSN from start up because it really slows down the system, but then all I do to activate it is to click on the icon on the desktop when I want it.

Crap cleaner or cc cleaner as its also known as will speed up your computer and get rid of unnecessary stuff like temp Internet files, cookies etc. I have never had a problem with it. Just Google the name and check out the reviews.
    gmwthree Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Go to Start>Run and type in MSConfig. You can see what is loading at startup. Uncheck what you don't want.
    Also, if you have things starting up that you don't need or want, you can check them at Sysinfo.org to make sure you do not turn off anything that your computer needs in order to operate properly. That site is very helpful when you get to the startup tab under MSConfig and really want to do some house-cleaning to speed things up a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Programmes for adults who can't spell [ 4 Answers ]

I just discovered to my horror the man I've been married to for 2 1/2 years can't spell for nuts.It's embarrassing.I'm just wondering if anyone knows any programmes or methods for adults to learn spelling. Thank you in advance.

Dryer will start and stop immediately [ 3 Answers ]

I have a kenmore elite electrical dryer, and the dryer starts once I press the start button, and stops immediatle if I take my finger off. What should I be looking at? Any suggestions

Ok to run 2 antivirus programmes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, am I right in thinking that is is OK to use more than one anti virus programe on my PC provided I don't run checks on both at the same time? I currently have Zone Alarm Suite and Norton Security Scan installed. Thanks

Too many programmes in my Start Up [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove programmes from my start up? I am told that too many programmes in this area slows down the process of start up.

XP - remove programmes from start up? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi:o I'd love to know how I can stop programmes from starting up when the computer is first switched on, as it is taking ages to load up. I have XP professional. Hope you can help!

View more questions Search