Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jojo55 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Filling Chapter 7 - secured debt was sold - any problems?
    I know somebody who is about to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy and they owe about 5K on furniture they bought a year ago. Now they are selling the furniture and they plan to file Chapter 7 in a month or so. I'm guessing they plan to use the money to pay their lawyer, but this is just a guess.
    BTW, they have never paid a dime yet (no payment until 2009 deal).

Personally I think this a bad idea, but can they actually get in trouble for selling the furniture which is a secured debt?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Better not sell the furniture; the seller/financing party may have a security interest in the furniture, and its sale could lead to criminal prosecution. Also, the debt may be nondischargeable.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2008, 06:17 PM
    When you file bankruptcy you have to disclose items that were sold just prior to the bankruptcy being filed - I think there is a 6 month prior timeline. In this case the furniture sale would have to be disclosed if they sold it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 06:20 PM
    It is very possible that this secured property ( if the loan on the furniture uses it for security and is not merely a open account or a store charge account.

But if it is secured, and they sell it, remember on secured debt, it has to be returned to be sold, or the debt has to be reaffirmed and paid.
    Or the debt may not be allowed to be included in the bankrutpcy.

They should not sell it at all until they get permission from their attorney after he reviews their file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

*URGENT* Default on Secured Debt - Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I'm hoping you can provide some advice. Last week I received a call from a collection agency regarding an outstanding debt. The only info he had was the amount and the finance company. Based on this, I believe it is for a secured car loan I defaulted on in 2005. Note that I also...

Do you file bankrupcty to clear debt after a forclosed house is sold [ 1 Answers ]

After for closure they sale the home then you are responsible for the difference between the sales price and the loan balance. 1. Do you then file bankrupt on that debt? In Colorado I understand that in a bankruptcy, income, (pension in this case) can be garnished at 25%. 2. Is...

Sold debt lawsuit after statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

We began receiving mail from attorneys and mediation companies offering to help us a with a lawsuit. We weren't aware of any lawsuit, and have not received a summons or notification of any kind. The case number and such was listed on the legal help solicitations and it turns out it was a debt...

Old Credit Card Debt has been sold [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a letter yesterday, 5/15/2007, about a credit card that I had forgotten about. I opened it in 1999 when I was going through a divorce. The debt has now been sold to another company for collection. The last time I used the card was September 1999. I checked my credit report, and the...

Sold Debt [ 1 Answers ]

If a company that I owed a debt to sells it to another company or collection agency does the Statute of Limitations start over? If the debt is sold and the new company puts it on my credit report will that stay on my report for another 7 years? Thanks for any imput.

View more questions Search