Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:06 PM
    And on January 12, 1848 Lincoln spoke in Congress about the war...
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
    General Grant does not sound like a Jacksonian Democrat in those remarks. "Jackson symbolized the new attitudes of equality in a number of ways; he was the first president who was not a Virginian or an Adams, and he was a pioneer, an American Indian fighter, and a war hero." The Free Dictionary Jacksonian Democrat - Hutchinson encyclopedia article about Jacksonian Democrat
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Lincoln was in Congress at that time? You are very warm, HC. Just curious: what was Lincoln's view of the war?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Lincoln was against the war because President Polk could only stretch the truth and squeeze rationalization out of half-truths and misconceptions. Actively protesting the war, in his address to Congress he said, "The result of this examination was to make the impression, that taking for true, all the President states as facts, he falls far short of proving his justification; and that the President would have gone farther with his proof, if it had not been for the small matter, that the truth would not permit him."

Basically, if you can't provide proof, don't request military action. And, the reason for the Constitution giving the power of war to Congress was to keep a tyrannical "king" from throwing the country into a war for their own whims. He believed that Polk was acting as a King rather than a President.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:28 PM
    So, perhaps it was someone in Representative Lincoln's party?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
    You're wicked, you know that?? Lol
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    Lincoln was against the war because President Polk could only stretch the truth and squeeze rationalization out of half-truths and misconceptions...

Basically, if you can't provide proof, don't request military action. And, the reason for the Constitution giving the power of war to Congress was to keep a tyrannical "king" from throwing the country into a war for their own whims. He believed that Polk was acting as a King rather than a President.
    Good work, here, HC; can you imagine arguing with Lincoln? What if he were your father? From what I recall, however, he spoiled his children terribly.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:36 PM
    You're wicked, you know that??? lol
    I consider that a compliment!
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Good work, here, HC; can you imagine arguing with Lincoln? What if he were your father? From what I recall, however, he spoiled his children terribly.
    And this is quite a compliment, too! :)

Yes... arguing with Lincoln would not be fun at all...

I'm still searching, but wow... you have seriously stumped me!
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Let's say the mystery man is a member of Lincoln's party and he is from Georgia; and probably no friend of Lincoln. He made a name for himself in the Confederate States of America.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Alexander Stephens??
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
    BINGO
    Alexander Stephens???
    :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 02:29 PM
    YESSS!!

I rock! :D

Maybe next time, Rick! ;)

(I'm doing a little Snoopy happy dance, in case you were wondering... )
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Alexander Stephens???
    Good job; I just love those three question marks you placed after his name! I want to thank and congratulate Rick and HC for being wonderful students and contestants.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Why, you're welcome!

HC: 1
    RickJ: 0

That's all folks! Check back for more historical trivia and mind-boggling quizzes... same station... :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Kudos and a bow to HC! ;) :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Ok, next?

(that was waaaay too much fun yesterday! :))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rare 80's children's Movie (or made for TV movie) made with puppets [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a movie (or TV movie) that I enjoyed as a child. It aired sometime during the early 80's. I remember it taking place in a cave with some green creatures (goblins?). The king was making a wish and they started in a song and dance about how the king would be making this wish...

Is there tax deduction for home loan in other country for property in that country? [ 6 Answers ]

If a person is carrying a home loan in some other country (outside US) for some property in that country is there any tax relief/deduction from IRS for such person ?

Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are...

Another effort was made by Dubya trying to redefine or push the limits, as President. [ 19 Answers ]

In your own view did GW exceed his authority, not only on this issue which was ruled against him, but at other times? War? Privacy? Etc... Supreme Court rules Bush exceeded his powers - Los Angeles Times Supreme Court rules Bush exceeded his powers Saying he does not have 'unilateral...

My APOLOGY for Comments made under my naqme. [ 4 Answers ]

I am posting this apology on the sites I frequent the most since at the moment I don't kow just where the offenbse took place. I have been informed that certain offensive comments were made under my name. I am deeply sorry for any offense that was taken by any comment that theindfividual made...

View more questions Search