Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ouzo200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2004, 06:19 PM
    Dual Citizenship GREECE and USA
    Hi I am a dual citizen of both Greece and the USA. I have a question? When traveling out and to the US I would use my US passport. I understand that part. But say I leave the USA with my USA passport. When I land for instance in Germany do I use my Greek passport or my US passport? And on the way back I understand I must use my Greek passport to leave Greece. But when I arrive to change planes in Germany Do I show my Greek or US passport?
    Thanks
    Sorry if you do not understand my questions.
    Franceroxmyworld Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2004, 03:12 PM
    Dear ouzo200,

I think that when you are entering any EU country you should use your Greek passport, as Greece is an EU country, and when you enter the US you should use your US passport. However, I don't know about the Greek passport law when leaving Greece, I think maybe you should just take both just in case, lol.

hope i could help :confused:

-Ben :)
    secedenyc Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2004, 09:21 AM
    Obtaing Greek/US dual
    My father was born in Greece and lived there 'til he was 4. He recently passed away, but I do have a copy of his birth certifcate. Would I be able to get a Greek citizenship based on his birthplace? I'd love to be able to work in the EU. The political climate in the USA at the moment has me feeling a little reactionary too.
    albena Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2004, 04:27 PM
    I. After the Greek embassy in Washington
    (http://www.greekembassy.org/Embassy/...=28&article=95) :

Greek Citizenship
    Individuals of Greek Descent
    Please submit the following original documents:

-Birth certificate
    -Certificate of christening
    -Marriage certificate
    -Valid passport
    -Father's birth certificate
    -Parents' marriage certificate from the church and marriage registration certificate from the city. If the father was not registered in Greece then:
    1.Grandfather's certificate of registration from the municipal records of the city/town where he was registered
    2.Grandparent's marriage certificate

II. A good article at:
    http://www.helleniccomserve.com/greekcitizenship.html

". Those that can prove that they have a parent or a grandparent who was born in Greece and obtained the Greek nationality by birth can claim the Greek citizenship now if they can find documents proving the Greek citizenship of their ancestor. According to Greek law there is no problem if the applicant wants to keep his/her present nationality. So, a Greek American can become Greek citizen without losing his/her American citizenship.

The most important document that a person of Greek origin can use to obtain the citizenship is a certificate from the local municipality in Greece certifying that a certain ancestor was born in Greece, has a municipality number, and therefore was Greek by birth.

The next line of required documents consists of the marriage certificate of that ancestor, the birth certificate of their child, until we reach the person applying for citizenship today. If that ancestor was a grandfather, we need his marriage certificate, the birth certificate of his child, the marriage certificate of the child that is the parent of the present applicant and the birth certificate of the present applicant. If the applicant is married, we need his/her marriage certificate as well."

If you really decide to apply for Greek citizenship, maybe a good idea is to find a company that will proceed with your papers.

And by the way, last years statistics said that Luxemburg was the EU country with the highest living standard. Haven’t seen the numbers for 2004 yet, but as far as I heard the preferable EU country (living, working, insurances, healthcare, education) this year is Ireland.
    traderruss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2005, 03:12 PM
    Greek citizenship via marriage
    Hi
    I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but my wife can claim Greek citizenship via descent and we both wish to reside and work in the EU for a while. Can I also qualify for a Greek passport by virtue of our marriage?
    I can't find any information on this, but it would seem to me that I must be able to because otherwise Greeks couldn't marry foreigners and live together.

I would appreciate any advice on this issue
    Thanks
    karolides Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 01:30 AM
    Greek citizenship
    The closest info I've found on Greek citizenship via marriage was a comment in a website about "giving the lifetime gift of citizenship to family members." This was a website for a company that helps people get their citizenship for a fee.

I have another question. We have most of our paperwork, but perhaps not the municipal certificate. One source I found implied that if you had the other relevant paperwork, the municipal certificate can be re-issued. Does anyone know anything about that?
    simply_katie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Need a little help
    I was born in Greece. My father was in the air force at the time. I was wondering, since neither of my parents are greek, would I be able to get dual citizenship for just being born there? I have a greek birth certificate. Or how would I go about finding out if I could get dual citizenship. Any information would help. Thank you.
    G4-450 Posts: 175, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2005, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper12
    ouzo ra malaka d gun kness doe gun kness malaka
    Yatti malakias?

If you want a greek citizenship but where born outside greece its simple, do army or public service for a max of 24 months, you can serve 2 months a year for several years, how ever you like.. or wait 2 years until the laws are changed.

If you where born in greece and want a U.S. citizenship get a greek passport before you hand over your green card to the U.S. for a U.S. one.

And have you know that it's a choice to do so and not there right to take it from you, they only make you pay for fees when they do to obtain originals or documents, it's a huge business by the way.

This greek guy I know has legally obtained 3 passports, greek, U.S. and canadian. also you can have as many as 6 based on a clean criminal history, marriage status and other reasons like diplomacy, but you enter with the passport of that country, there is not only one EU country by the way.. if you get caught not using a passport from THAT country, you get a fine.

But believe it when I tell you that NO ONE WILL LET YOU KNOW THIS but a immigration lawyer, especially since some governments want people to buy new ID cards like the ones England wants to pass for 300 pounds, in a country like the UK where nothing changes, it makes you think about those bombs recently, and who really is gaining from them,
    In the U.K. they always tell the U.S. that the a big bang theory is irrelevant to the Brits, and its time it happened for a change since change never really takes place, that is Jack Straw and Tony Blair for you... either-wise they will stay in the dark ages.

Anyone wishes they can correct me if I am wrong, none of this information is my opinion but from sources and people that have been legally advised.
    susanwente Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2005, 08:50 AM
    Greek Citizenship for child of unmarried parents
    Hi - Just wondering what the procedure would be to obtain Greek citizenship if my parents were never married but my father was born and raised in Greece? How can I prove to the Greek government that he's really my father? Would he have to adopt me? He's not on my birth certificate because my mother was married to someone else when I was born... but I'm in the process of changing my name to my Greek father's name and will have my birth certificate officially changed by court order.

Thanks for any help!!
    Susan

Jul 17, 2005, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwente
    Hi - Just wondering what the procedure would be to obtain Greek citizenship if my parents were never married but my father was born and raised in Greece? How can I prove to the Greek government that he's really my father? Would he have to adopt me? He's not on my birth certificate because my mother was married to someone else when I was born... but I'm in the process of changing my name to my Greek father's name and will have my birth certificate officially changed by court order.

Thanks for any help!!
    Susan
    Well it funny you ask this,

I have a friend who also married with out documents basically.

Options
    Basically, you need to prove you have a living relative in order to get a passport into that country, all except Israel, Austria, Switzerland and Germany,

-Greece puts greek orthodox on all ID cards, even if you're a jew or muslim which either should agree to do, you have to live with it if you want one, and you have to have one either way.
    -Israel only requires your Jewish, if you're a convert then you do public service and act as a second class citizen.

-Germany and Austria require German Blood. or simply nordic features, and if your not a blonde you might be screened closely to see what is wrong with your blood and get rejected. Austria has a large of its population not aware that they are in the EU and still defualt to POST anexed asitrian rules Hitler left them with, only the older people that is.

-Switzerland has this obsession with population control since they are dependent on economical reasons for there people. no one even born there from a certain time who has not have had family for at-least 4 generations can get a citizenship.

Remember all these countries claim to democracy, which is anyone can have the equal right for a citizenship.
    Let me demonstrate the Greek Ideology to you, this is a greek embassy in London, so you do not need to speak greek to understand the requirements:
    Here is a link to the Greek Embassy in london and a interesting page on your case

And this should be all you need to know about asking a Preist, read the large text.
    Consular Affairs - Passports.
    Click here to go back
    A. Passport validity for travelling to Greece
    British Subjects and all other EU passport holders travelling to Greece do not require a visa and may travel as long as their passport is valid during the period of their stay in Greece.
    B. Procedure for issuing*or renewing*a Greek Passport
    In order to issue a new Greek passport or to renew one, the following documents are required:? 1. An application made personally in the Consulate General. In case you live outside London, and cannot come in person in the Consulate, your signature, in the above application, has to be attested by the Honorary Consul of your area or by a Greek priest... (you need to do some bible studies) :)

2. Your old passport.
    3. Two (2) recent passport-sized photographs, which must be attested by the Greek Honorary Consul or the Greek priest of your area, if you are unable to appear in person in the Consulate General.
    4. Identity card.
    5. A recent certificate by the Municipality or the Parish that you are registered in the municipality roll of the Greek government.
    6. Any proof (e.g. a P60, or a tax return form, which will prove that you are a permanent UK resident). Proof of your address (e.g. telephone, electricity or water bill, driving licence etc.).*
    For students, a letter from the university or place of study is required.
    7. For male citizens between the age of 19 - 45 who have fulfilled their national service the following are required:
    • Army discharge papers or certificate of type “B” of military status or a registration on an old passport that will show the fulfilment of their military obligation.*
    For male citizens between the age of 19 - 45 who have not fulfilled their military duties the following are required:
    • A certificate of lawful exemption from military service or certificates of type “B” by the appropriate Recruitment Office.*
    8. In case of a minor, a signed consent by both parents must be produced.
    9. Consular duties of [ Click here for List of Consular Fees ], are made payable by postal order or in cash only. Cheques are not accepted.*

A self addressed registered envelope for the secure return of the passports and other supporting documents.
    Time for issue: Approximately three - four (3-4) weeks
    This country calls itself a democracy, no wonder muslims are convinced everyone lies about there democracies, they are all smokescreens on the outside still running another imperialist crusade war.
    mfunnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 11:25 AM
    Same background (military dependent born overseas)
    Katie: My background is similar to yours and I have the similar questions: My parents are American and I was born in La Chapelle, France. Since my father was in the US military (Army), he had to fill out a Department of Defense (DOD) form declaring that I was "born of American parents overseas." I have copies of both my French birth certificate and DOD form having lost originals over 20 years ago. I do have a valid US passport.

I have two questions. Who would I speak to about getting original copies of my birth certificate? And, I would like to explore the possibility of obtaining French citizenship without jeopardizing my US citizenship. I have several former military-dependant friends who are in the same position.

Jul 18, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mfunnie
    Katie: My background is similar to yours and I have the similar questions: My parents are American and I was born in La Chapelle, France. Since my father was in the US military (Army), he had to fill out a Department of Defense (DOD) form declaring that I was "born of American parents overseas." I have copies of both my French birth certificate and DOD form having lost originals over 20 years ago. I do have a valid US passport.

I have two questions. Who would I speak to about getting original copies of my birth certificate? And, I would like to explore the possibility of obtaining French citizenship without jeopardizing my US citizenship. I have several former military-dependant friends who are in the same position.
    Again from my experience of another friend who was born in the U.S. and now has a french Passport. he simply went to the embassy with his mother and did it all there. you get into the embassies with a person who has a passport or national ID card of that country, after this you can solve all your problems.

Been that you have a dual national thing, especially U.S. expect hostility, france likes to also punish there citizens who live abroad for a long time,
    I had a friend who had a hard time to get there french ID card again because they lost there original one, French athorities wanted all these papers to prove she was her, origionals with special stamps, she waited over 8 months and they kept losing her papers she said, later they told her it was in case she decided to go back to the states that they did this, so they could make sure she stays this time for good.

I know it does not sound logical, but that is how things get done in France.
    Start with the embassey.
    JustinAce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 03:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwente
    Hi - Just wondering what the procedure would be to obtain Greek citizenship if my parents were never married but my father was born and raised in Greece?? How can I prove to the Greek government that he's really my father? Would he have to adopt me? He's not on my birth certificate because my mother was married to someone else when I was born...but I'm in the process of changing my name to my Greek father's name and will have my birth certificate officially changed by court order.

Thanks for any help!!!
    Susan

WOW, this is uncanny. Susanwente I am in the same situation! My father moved to Australia from Greece at age 18. At the age of 19 meets my mother, they "create" me, they don't get married, he runs off because he is immature, I am born with no father, mum gets married when I am 3 yrs old, step father does not bother to adopt me but rather just signs my birthcertificate so it looks like he's my real father (but he's not). I grow up. I have a crap relationship with my stepfather because I am not his son and because I'm a "foreign" looking kid. Now I'm all grown. I'm a Greek-Australian and visibly so, and have studied lots for Greek and was so happy when we won Euro 2004, BUT.. I need a Greek passport! What to do? It's so much damned trouble!! Are you friends with your Greek father now? I know mine.. he's a bit dodgy, but I think he will sign my papers... any suggestions, help, assistance, advice, guidance is very appreciated. Also would like to hear from others in similar situations. Email: [email protected] ;)
    Heidi Laurel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simply_katie
    I was born in Greece. my father was in the air force at the time. I was wondering, since neither of my parents are greek, would i be able to get dual citizenship for just being born there? I have a greek birth certificate. Or how would i go about finding out if i could get dual citizenship. Any information would help. thank you.
    Hi, Katie,

I'm in the same situation--born in Greece to American parents (there on vacation) with a Greek birth certificate. I too would like to get dual citizenship. Have you had any luck getting information? Thanks!

Heidi Nevin
    greekdutchguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2005, 09:14 AM
    Greek Citizenship
    Hello My name's Andreas. My mother's father (my maternal grandfather) was born in Greece and moved here to the States with my grandmother (who's from Holland) in 1969. I was wondering if I'd be able to attain greek citizenship through my grandfather. I've read different requirements on different pages. I have my orthodox baptism certificate , my mom's birth certificate , my grandfather's birth certificate, my grandparent's marriage certificate , and of course my birth certificate. I wish to go study in Holland for University and an EU passport would deffinitely be to my advantage. Am I eligible for Greek citizenship? Please write back soon.

Andreas

Sep 11, 2005, 09:31 AM
    Hi

You need a living relative to present you in the greek embassy in order to get that citizenship, this applies for any country.

You have to walk in with your relative and there greek ID,
    ( a passport for sure or ID card )

Then you can get it.

That is all that it will take.

The best website for greek embassy info in this is the UK greek site, the rest are hacked up fakes. greece is notorious for having lazy workers on hand. :rolleyes:
    greekdutchguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2005, 09:37 AM
    Thank you
    So even though it's my grandfather instead of mother or father I am still eligible? Thank you for the information! Also I was wondering what you meant by go to the consulate with greek ID? Would that be a Greek passport or.. Also, Do I have to make the request in person or can I send it in the mail? How long is processising tie?
    Thank you,
    Andreas

Sep 11, 2005, 09:43 AM
    Normaly

You can not enter any embasey with out a passport ior ID from that country, once you do with a relative, any, even cousin, as long as your names match or you can prove your relatives, then your in.

I said it before around here, a greek priest can do anything you want if he likes you.

But here,
    http://www.greekembassy.org.uk/pages...izenships.html

Check this link out
    kanellt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Where to obtain copy of birth certificate
    Hello,

My husband was born in Greece (Thessoloniki) and needs a official or certified copy of his Greek birth certificate for immigration/visa purposes. We live in the United States right now.

Does anyone know where to obtain that and how long it takes?

TIA

Sep 14, 2005, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kanellt
    Hello,

My husband was born in Greece (Thessoloniki) and needs a official or certified copy of his Greek birth certificate for immigration/visa purposes. We live in the United States right now.

Does anyone know where to obtain that and how long it takes?

TIA
    Well , its funny you ask this

I was living in the U.S. most of my life and I went to the greek embassy in NY to get a passport, they of-course asked for living relatives.

I got the passport but then this scary question came up, MILITARY TIME!
    And that is 2 years and from what I understand, the age max climbed up until the 40s now!

In order for me to avoid the military time I was told to get
    1-a paper that stated I lived outside the U.S. so long and proved I resided in another country and my things and life is there.
    2-a recent copy of my birth certificate from the town I was born in, and a relative or lawyer can do this for me.

Also, I can go to greece for 3 months but any more then this would mean been abducted by the Military.

So for your question, I had to get my official birth certificate, and it also had to be stamped recently and within 6 months! this took my step dad about 15 minutes, he said he walked into the office and had a coffee with the guys there while they did it, and no one really does this so its allways a surprise. but even if you have a birth certificate from a time ago, its not good according to the embassy, it needs a stamp, this was about 12 years ago, I imagine some things changed, but from talking to the people in my town they told me everyone is great, everything is the same, just new ID cards and passports that say EU on them now, birth certificates are the same, as well in France and many EU countries, a stamp to certifiy that they are recent is required..

This is the way I got it, and I wanted to tell you all this because from what you can see, you have to go get it from greece.

I say go to your embassey and ask, also contact relatives in greece if possible, also to note, a lawyer can do this for you in greece.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, I've got a question. My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States. I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen. Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search