Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tireman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 12:35 PM
    SaraHope-

Your dual citizenship is already in place provided you have Greek heritage. If your dad was just stationed in Greece in the US Air Force, I don't think the "born in Greece" codicil of the law applies. I think they would treat that at sovereign US soil, much like an embassy, and therefore, not technically a part of Greece.
    kathy7289 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Can anyone join the greek orthodox church
    kathy7289 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Can I apply for an irish citizen for a passport
    Tireman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Kathy,

Anyone who wants to be Greek Orthodox can join the church. It's a matter of religion mostly.
    As for the Irish citizenship, I can't answer that one with any accuracy.
    penkitten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatrox
    Perhaps there is some confusion to clear up.

I was born in Greece to a known (family name) Greek birth mother. My father's background is not known. My American-born adoptive parents are Greek Orthodox. My lawyer says that my adoptive parents need to become Greek citizens for me to obtain a legal Greek birth certificate. I have been baptized Greek Orthodox in America.
    Greek Nationality Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Acquisition of Greek Nationality by Birth

The child of a Greek citizen acquires the Greek nationality as from the time of his/her birth, the birth place is irrelavent.

The child born on Greek territory acquires the Greek nationality as from the time of their birth, provided that they do not acquire by birth a foreign nationality or that it is of unknown nationality.

Acquisition of Greek Nationality by Recognition of a Child

An alien born out of wedlock is automatically Greek if the mother is Greek. If the father is Greek and paternity can be proven,the child will become Greek when an application is submited for the child to become a Greek citizen, providing the child has not yet reached his/her 18th birthday, then he/she must make a request themselves to become Greek.

Acquisition of Greek Nationality by Naturalisation

An alien who has attained the 18th year of age may become Greek by naturalisation.

The following prerequisites are required for naturalisation: A declaration of the alien made before the mayor or the chairman of the village council where he/she is domiciled or resides, wherein it is stated that he/she wishes to be naturalised. The declaration is submitted in the presence of two Greek citizens serving as witnesses, For the alien ethnic Greek living abroad this declaration may be submitted before the Greek consul of his/her domicile, who will then transmit it to the Ministry of the Interior together with a relevant report.

If the alien is not an ethnic Greek, a total of ten years of residence in Greece within the last twelve years before the submission of the application for naturalisation or five years of residence in Greece after the declaration concerning naturalisation. An application for naturalisation submitted to the Ministry of the Interior.

The children of the alien who is naturalised become Greeks if, at the time of completion of the naturalisation proceedings, they are not married and they have not attained the 18th year of age.
    shonshon Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 12:52 AM
    You must understand that the greek law is quite difirenet that other european countries
    Although greece is eu- country- please get more information on this law firm website
    www.freewebs.com/grlawe
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Hi if you have dual citizenship and on one passport your first name differs from the other which is translation in english will I have a problem when entering /exit US and EU? Do they have to be the same first name?
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

May 4, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Technically you should be fine: you'll show your US passport to the American immigration officer, and your EU passport to the EU folks. The only place it could get tricky I guess is the airline that matches a passport to the ticket - my recommendation is to have the airline ticket printed the same spelling as your American passport, and use that passport with all your dealings with the airline.
    peacanpr Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Comment on secedenyc's post
    Yes you can get citizenship by descent!! Yay! For you I know that this is old... like 6 years old and I hope that you are already there, but this is for everyone else that is interested... I sure the hell am!! Anxious is not the word!! This clima

Jun 24, 2010, 05:50 PM
    Comment on traderruss's post
    This is a trick question because once a woman of Greek descent marries a non-Greek she is considered a non-Greek... but the Good new is that you can live there for 6 months and she regains her status when she returns... and after 1 year you can apply

Jun 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Comment on simply_katie's post
    The question really is were you born on the base or base hospital. Because if you were then you are an American Citizen. Your birth certificate does it indicate that you are an American?

Jun 24, 2010, 05:56 PM
    Comment on G4-450's post
    Wow!! Good stuff!!

Jun 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Comment on susanwente's post
    You still would have to prove by documentation that he is your father, and that he was born in Greece. Name change is probably not going to be enough.

Jun 24, 2010, 05:58 PM
    Comment on susanwente's post
    But it has been a while I hope that you have succeeded in your endeavors and can educate us on how it went!

Jun 24, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Comment on mfunnie's post
    These post are so old hopefully you all have gotten your answers already and would have been great help to share your success w/ the rest of us... hahaha really though... The original birth certificates or proof of births in the United States can be o

Jun 24, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Comment on mfunnie's post
    These post are so old hopefully you all have gotten your answers already and would have been great help to share your success w/ the rest of us... hahaha really though... The original birth certificates or proof of births in the United States can be obtain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, I've got a question. My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States. I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen. Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search