Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ice98k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 10:39 PM
    How can I add my last name to my children?
    Hi! I have two children by two different fathers. Both of them have a different last name then I. I am not with either father. I want my children to carry my last name as well so that it will make it easier on me to make appointments for them and take care of school issues. Also the kids at school don't believe my children are brother and sister because they don't share the same last name. Where can I go to get there names hyphenated and use my last name until they are old enough to choose what name they want to use?:confused:
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Each state in the U.S. has law concerning name changes. Where I live, one must file a petition in the superior court; the father is entitled to notice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
    As George said, to legally change their names, you would have to go court (usually Family Court) and file a petititon for the change. However, the change might be contested by the fathers so this could be an uphill battle.

However, in the US, you can use any name you want as long as there is no intent to defraud. So you can contact the school and inform them that effectively immediately, both your children will be using your surname. While some schools districts may give you a hassle over this, most won't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About my children [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get my children's father on abandment even if he pays child support but has not seen them in 7 years??

I have 2 children but want another but. [ 4 Answers ]

I am 24, married and have 2 beautiful children age 5 and 18 months. I wish to spare gross details but it has to be said, my husband only had to look at me and I caught with my 2 children straight away, 3 weeks after we had sex I was looking at positive pregnancy tests. But now I want a 3rd, I...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search