Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkh Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Apr 22, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Rumours why?
    I began working at my current job 3 years ago. I have learned so many new (untrue) things about myself. These people have started sooo many rumours about me it is unreal. Now this is a restaurant with many different age groups. I am nice to all of them and friends with pretty much everyone there, and now these new friends are coming out with these rumours and asking me if they are true.

Lets see the first was that I had herpes and superaids.
    Then that I was a prostitute for an older gentleman that frequents the bar.
    Now that I am sleeping with my manager, whom is married.
    I have a cocaine problem.
    I'm having a lesbian affair with a coworker.
    I am sleeping with the managers boyfriend.

None of these things are true. I am 26, in school and not a party animal like most of them are. I go out now and again but it's rare, I have a child and am about to get married.

It really blows my mind and I do not let it get to me, often, but after hearing these things it makes me wonder, wth did I do to these people or someone to make them start these things. I am quitting this job in a month and usually laugh these things off for what they are, a joke. But seriously I am a nice person and always there to help, always upbeat and do a good job. All my managers and coworkers like me, or seem too. What's the deal? :confused:
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Good for you for wearing a happy face through all this.
    Rumors are not nice and are mostly started when someone is jealous or envious of someone - in this case you are that someone.
    These people are most likely jealous and envious of you and your accomplishments.
    They want to try and bring you down to their level and have other people think less of you so that it makes them look better.
    Keep your head up while you finish out this month on the job.
    Remember that you are better than all the people spreading the rumors, they are just unhappy and trying to bring you down to their level.
    Don't let that happen and good luck to your future.
    If you stay positive, like you have been, people will see the rumor starters for what they are - unhappy smug people.
    Best wishes to you.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 09:50 PM
    They have insecurities about themselves. So by making things up about others makes them feel better. Whether they are joking or not it is not right. It happens everywhere though. Believe me the nicer you are the more people are going to try to make you out to be the bad guy.

Never change that about yourself and like the above answer has said. Stay positive, continue smiling and do not let them have the satisfaction of bringing you down.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 05:21 AM
    In many work areas, this is common, you will hear all sorts of rumors, so what other ones have you heard about all of the other people.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Laugh and tell them something like
    ''YOU left out the part about
    My papa dropped me on my head when I was 18 months,
    I grew up in an insane assylum
    And I knocked a big dude out one time when I was playing football
    And he has severe brain trauma now!"
    If they see you can say stuff about yourself and what they say doesn't get to you they will see they can't get to you and hopefully get tired of telling rumors that get nowhere.
    jkh Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

May 12, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    In many work areas, this is commom, you will hear all sorts of rumors, so what other ones have you heard about all of the other people.
    I have only heard one other rumor about an employee getting hair plugs or some type of surgery for premature balding. Quite a silly story really, and I think it is amazing that is the only one I have heard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search