Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GOCANES Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Grout Removal
    What is the easiest way to remove grout from slate tile?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Apr 22, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Are we talking about cured grout on the tile surface or clean up after grouting?
    royals91 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Apr 29, 2008, 07:28 AM
    I am in the same boat. So far I have 8 hrs of scrubbing and I have used steel wool, some acidic cleaner , sand paper, and so on and I am still not done... any one else know of a better way?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Apr 29, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Are you both talking about grout that is there because after grouting the tile you didn't remove any extra front the tile surface or removing the grout in-between the tiles so you can re-grout?

Apr 29, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Well I am trying to remove extra cause it dried quicker then I thought and it was 3 AM and I was tired so I have a area that has extra on it and I am trying to remove it, I just bought a steel brush like a grille brush to remove it. Any help would be awsome. I have tried dry and it comes off with some eldow grease and now I have to have my carpet cleaned from the dust. So my problems are snowballing .

Thanks

Apr 29, 2008, 08:20 AM
    You could router it out if it is in-between the tiles and re-grout it. If it is on the tiles it is harder. I'd try to chip it off without scratching the tiles.

Apr 29, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Yeah I have been chipping it off little by little, just I am running out of time. Just more elbow grease and beer.

Apr 29, 2008, 08:56 AM
    They do make some grout removal tools with carbide tips. Might make it a little faster. Beer helps too.

Apr 29, 2008, 09:01 AM
    GOCANES, do you have slate tile outside somewhere? I just realized this is in exterior home improvement.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 05:05 PM
    This ought to wrk with either the flexible or hard scraper blade. C. & E. FEIN GmbH - Der FEIN MULTIMASTER I love mine.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 1, 2008, 09:24 AM
    I saw the post for remove grout and KISS hadresonded. I bet myself a buck he'd recommend the Fein and he sure did. It woiuld be perfect for this. So we have two guys trying to talk to us at the same time and that's always confusing. Royals91 should click on ASK and start his own post so we can keep them straight. I am still wonedring if this is grout between tiles or grouut used under the tile like thinset. Some folks call thinset grout.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My grout has mildew [ 4 Answers ]

I just removed the caulking around the bottom of my shower stall (where the floor tile meets the wall tile). The caulking showed little or no evidence of mildew, however the underlying grout has mildew. What do I do, merely disinfect the grout and allow to dry and then re-caulk or do I have a...

Grout removal from tile [ 6 Answers ]

I tiled a backsplash in a kitchen and then I had to leave for a period before I could grout it , so the homeowners dad came over and thought he would help and grouted the tile for me. He really messed it up and left way too much grout on it, my 1/8 inch grout lines are about 3/8 to 1/2 and there is...

Removal of old grout [ 2 Answers ]

Is there anything that you can put on old grout to loosen it so you can take it out easier?

Removal of old grout [ 1 Answers ]

What's the best way to remove old grout from tile?

Urethane grout [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking for a really flexible grout for my kitchen floor. I have heard about urethane grout, but I cannot locate a dealer in The Netherlands or France. Any help where I can obtain this material? Or would there be another suitable material? Greetings, Fons

View more questions Search