Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eng_christopher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Bonding of the neutral and ground
    I currently have a subpanel coming from a main distro panel with my local power source being a Y connected generator. How many places/panels should the grounded and grounding conductors be bonded? I believe it is the first means of disconnect which is my MDP. All subpanels from that point on should not be bonded. Do these subpanels need individual ground rods at each one?

Next is the conductor sizing between a 250A 3pole and a 150 amp 3 pole. At a minimum, the conductor should be rated for a 150A per phase. Correct?

On another note, this is not in the US, and just trying to get the job done with the available materials, but trying to follow code as close as I can.

Thank you all..
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 05:47 PM
    If this is not in the US the best place to start is telling us where you ARE located.

I personally don't give advice for outside the US (except maybe Canada) because I don't know the practices and codes outside the US
    eng_christopher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eng_christopher
    I currently have a subpanel coming from a main distro panel with my local power source being a Y connected generator. How many places/panels should the grounded and grounding conductors be bonded? I believe it is the first means of disconnect which is my MDP. All subpanels from that point on should not be bonded. Do these subpanels need individual ground rods at each one?

Next is the conductor sizing between a 250A 3pole and a 150 amp 3 pole. At a minimum, the conductor should be rated for a 150A per phase. Correct?

On another note, this is not in the US, and just trying to get the job done with the available materials, but trying to follow code as close as I can.

Thank you all..
    There are no codes and or practices here. I wish I could say, but I cannot. Just trying to ensure that my comrades and I are doing things safely. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral And Ground Bonding [ 7 Answers ]

I am replacing my oven. Service at the main breaker's bus bar has neutral and ground in the same bus bar. Since the wire to the old oven is Aluminum, I will run Aluminum wire to a sub panel and use copper wire from the breaker to the oven. Do I bond the neutral bar to the sub box? I don't...

Neutral / Ground [ 3 Answers ]

OK Strat, Here is the photo clip of the schematic of the Neutral /Grounding system in my place. Don

Bonding Sub Panel Ground Bar [ 3 Answers ]

I need to bond the ground bar in my Siemens subpanel (G1224B1100CU). The subpanel has a bonding screw for the neutral bar, but not for the ground bar (I will not ground the neutral bar and I have removed the neutral bar tie). The instructions say a ground lug kit (ECLKB1) is available, but the...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search