Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notdawn2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Dachshunds and vitamins
    I have an 8 year old dachshund that has been diagnosed with back problems. I have heard that vitamin C is great, but I'm not sure how much to give her? Can anyone help?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
    I did a search, notdawn, and found this website Animal Health Care - Your Pet Health and Pet Care Information Destination that will help you with a lot more information then you asked for. Basically they say that dogs produce their own Vitamin C so you won't find a dosage factor anywhere. May I suggest you figure out the weight ratio with your own (may be difficult but can be done). I have found my vet recommendations are accompanied by a dosage for the weight of the dog.

You may also want to give your pet glucosamine/chondroitin which is good for osteoarthritis but my dog was taking it for ligature strength; she is a very large 60 lb. dog and benefited greatly in many ways from this supplement. I take it as well.

Unfortunately your dachshund is suffering from a problem in longer dogs with short legs.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Vitamin C and D are naturally produced in a dogs system so unless your vet says that in your dogs older years he is not producing the proper amount I would try something different.
    You might want to try Hylaronic Acid. Vets give it to animals for their joints and tendons.
    I take it myself and notice a world of difference.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Where did you hear vitamin C is good for back problems? Was there any proof of it, or was it just speculation or at most some anecdotal evidence? The truth is, any decent dog chow has all the vitamins a dog needs. The best thing you might be able to do is make sure the back isn't suffering from any extra stress due to being overweight.

Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition.

I would talk to my vet before I started medicating my dog with untested and unproven remedies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

Three dachshunds learning to get along [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my dachshund situation at home. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on getting three dachshunds to live in harmony. Two days ago we brought in a precious girl rescue dachshund to join our two boy dachshunds. The girl is about nine years old and is a...

Can ladybugs be poisonous to dachshunds? [ 4 Answers ]

My six-month old dachshund has vomited several times in the past day and a half. With the holiday, we weren't able to get into the vet until tomorrow. He is fine right now, but I just caught him eating a ladybug. Now he is coughing a bit and gagging a little. We've had quite a few of these...

Treats for 4 month old dachshunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have two 4 month old dachshunds, and I feed them 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. I sometimes feed them a slice of apple in the afternoons, not everyday 3 or 4 times a week. Is there anything else in the way of people food that I can use as a treat. I'm not sure what is good for...

View more questions Search