Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duncanmorgan Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Existing shower drain 'leaking'
    I am replacing/upgrading the shower in the basement (i.e. - concrete slab) and have removed the existing fiberglass shower enclosure and found that all of the floor level wood and drywall is severely rotted. I noticed that when the washing machine runs, which is also on the basement slab floor level, gray water is coming back up through the drain and flooding (minorly) the floor in the vicinity of the shower drain. I presume this is an existing condition because of the rot.

I would like to fix this if possible before installing the tile shower and base.

Any idea how I might do that?

Thanks in advance
    --Duncan
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Duncan, just a few questions before I can offer any real advice so bear with me. The washer drain line needs to be at least a 2" pipe,not just the hose. Do you know the size of your drain pipe? The drain line is backing up either due to blockage or being undersized. As you might guess, one will be easier than the other to fix. Back to you

Apr 22, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. The washing machine drain fortunately is 2" so should be good there. Presumably next step is to auger the line as there is potential blockage.

--Duncan

Apr 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Your are correct, if the pipe is 2" and it is backing into the shower there needs to be some augering. The shower is trapped so it might be hard to get a 1/2 snake through there. Is there a clean out close by up stream or can you snake down the washer stand pipe? Only trouble with the stand pipe is if it is a Tee at the drain pipe connection instead of a Wye the rod could go the wrong way or get stuck.

Apr 24, 2008, 08:09 AM
    I've done some further investigation and am baffled.

I confirmed that the shower drain only leaks when the washing machine runs.

To test the drainage, I put a garden hose in the washing machine drain standpipe and turned it on full bore for about 20 minutes. There was no leaking in the shower and the drain kept up with the flow with seemingly no problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the water coming out of the washing machine contains 'gray' water or perhaps soapy water.

Any ideas?

Apr 24, 2008, 08:14 AM
    A garden hose running full blast is still not the volume a washer puts out when it pumps to the drain. The newer Maytags pump so much water that the 2009 plumbing code will up the pipe to 3". When you say the shwer leaked do you mean gray water came up out of the drain or is the drain actually leaking around a connection?

Apr 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
    The water that is leaking around the shower drain looks clean (not soapy or murky). Frankly I'm not sure yet if the water is leaking right out of the drain or from somewhere below as I have just seen the results after coming home from work. I'll run the washing machine myself soon and see if I can see where it is coming out of.

If I were to replace with 3", how far back would I need to go? Presume all the way to the main line.

Apr 24, 2008, 09:19 AM
    You are correct, the 3" drain would need to stay 3" all of the way to your main drain line which is likely 4". I am not suggesting tearing out the old 2" line. We will probably end up rodding your drains rather than replumbing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting shower base to existing basement floor drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at installing a shower in our basement. I want to use a store bought shower base and I am not sure if I can use the existing floor drain in the basement. First of all there are 2 floor drains located 5 feet apart from each other in my basement. One is next to the water hearter and I...

Shower drain leaking out of washer drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two showers upstairs and it just started leaking when the shower is running it will pour water out of the downstairs drain that the washer drains out of. What could this be

Moving washer to 2nd floor? How to connect to existing shower drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to move my laundry area to the 2nd floor. I have an existing water connection and drain I like to use. I got a hefty estimate from a plumber and while I am an amateur, I'd like to see how it is done. Our plan included installing a pump/reservior that would eliminate...

Existing shower drain removal [ 5 Answers ]

I am remodeling my master bath and have taken everything down to the studs. The bathroom currently had a tile shower and I am planning on redoing it. I bought my PVC pan liner and was looking at the drain that is in the documentation and realized that the current drain is different. When I pulled...

Remove existing shower stall drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have an acrylic shower stall in the basement. The drain seems to be leaking and I want to remove it. I've cleaned all the sealant around the floor collar but it won't budge. Is is glued in? Does it twist off (threaded)? What tool do I need to get a grip on it? Help. -Barry

View more questions Search