Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Question4U Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Hose Doesn't Fit Spigot?
    Hi!

I am a new home owner and went out and bought a 3/4" garden hose to water my flowers. When I tried to attach the hose to the spigot, it turns out that the spigot and the hose opening are the same size, so obviously the female end of the hose did not attach to the male spigot! (yes, I checked both ends of the hose!) I measured the outside of the spigot opening and it is 1 inch - perhaps a hair more. What can I do to adapt my hose to fit? Is there such an adapter? Do I need a different hose? Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

Samantha
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Samantha, I have never seen a spigot that would not match any garden hose, they are all pretty much standard. Where do you live? Maybe try your hose on your neighbors outside spigot with their permission. This may help us pin the problem down to the hose or your house.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
    While most are 3/4, I have seen a few 1/2 and in commercial applications 1 in is common as is 1 1/4. I have used all of those size hoze fittings just this week alone in hose make ups.
    Now the larger size is not normal in home owners but there are larger sizes.

Choices, change outlet size, make an adaptor hose or adaptor, or buy a new house with larger fittings ( the larger commercial hoses will be costly)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

Bathtub spigot [ 3 Answers ]

How do you replace a leaking tub spigot that sticks throughn the wall?

Leaky outdoor hose/spigot connection [ 2 Answers ]

If my hose connection at the spigot sprays water everywhere, do I have to replace the whole spigot? It seems that when I connect the hose end to the spigot, I don't get too many rotations. When I turn on the faucet, water sprays everywhere from the hose/spigot connection. Did the winter freeze...

Outside Spigot [ 4 Answers ]

I have three outside spigots I want to replace. How do I tell if they are screwed on or soldered (sp) on? With it flush to the brick I can't see and I don't want to twist it off. The pipe is copper so I'm guessing soldered. It is not a no freeze spigot. How do I replace them with a screw on...

Outside spigot [ 1 Answers ]

We have two outside spigots, one on either side of the house. The water is turned on and one works and one does not. The knob turns but no water comes out. What could be the problem?

View more questions Search