Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjmkalamazoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Should I try to settle now?
    I have a summons I received for a credit card debt, it is valid. My question is before it goes to court, should I try to settle with the law office? I mean will they let me make payments? Thank You
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 08:03 AM
    I'm certain they will set up a payment schedule; the alternative is to come up with a lump sum, which you may be able to substantially discount. Some attorneys use a 'consent judgment agreement', which allows you to make monthly payments, during which the case is taken off the trial calendar and no judgment is entered against you unless you default. If you default, all Hades breaks loose: levy, garnishment, etc.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Hello s:

I'm not as positive as George is about them being willing to set up a payment plan. You HAD a plan already that you didn't stick to. If they get a judgment, they can just waltz into your bank and empty your account. That would be easier than waiting every month for a payment that might not come. Plus, they want all those legal fees and court costs added on.

If it were me, I'd hustle up some CASH and get rid of them totally. George is right, in that you may be able to settle for half with CASH.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    I'm certain they will set up a payment schedule; the alternative is to come up with a lump sum, which you may be able to substantially discount. Some attorneys use a 'consent judgment agreement', which allows you to make monthly payments, during which the case is taken off the trial calendar and no judgment is entered against you unless you default. If you default, all Hades breaks loose: levy, garnishment, etc.

Depends on the law firm, of course, and often the firm has the debtor sign a Confession of Judgment at the time the "new" payment agreement is reached so if the payment is 10 minutes late - more or less - the creditor is standing there, papers in hand, ready to raid the bank account.

And, yes, a default can make Hades look like a vacation resort - except I understand the beach is not totally sand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why should I settle? [ 5 Answers ]

Have had a rough road of dating over the past several years. It seems that I either end up with women that I can't fall in love with and break up after a short time, or I fall in love with them too fast and scare them away. Usually the case is simply physical attraction. I've tried real hard to...

Settle for myself [ 1 Answers ]

I recently was in a car accident with my 11 year old daughter with me. A young lady on a cell phone took a curve at 60 and my truck stopped her. I received whiplash, swelling and bruising to my leg, and have problems using my right hand and need to go to physical therapy. The pain and suffering...

Settle debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have huge credit card debt, I am unable to make any payment one company is willing to settle with for 20cents for the dollar my total debt with them is $43,000.00 they are willing to takr $8,600.00. What documents should I ask them to provide me if I can arrange to pay the $8,600.00 and what is...

Do I settle for 50% of my debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been offered by several of my debtors/collection agencies a settlement of 50%, my question is most of my debt is now interest. If the company that is hired purchased my debt or was assigned to collect my debt do I negotiate a lower settlement? I have heard these companies buy delinquent debt...

View more questions Search