Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumberiamnotdp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Off set toilet closet
    Good morning,
    This is plumberiamnotdp, I am changing a toilet in my extra bathroom, the floor is terrazo. I removed the old toilet and found the closet all rotted and out of line. There is barely 11 inches from the wall to the closet bolts. There is a chipped portion of the floor about 1/2 inch deep and about 5 inches long. I tried to install the new Koler Toilet, and it leaked at the base of the toilet.. I took the toilet out, and found that I need to install an offset toilet closet. I got the off set closet at Lowe's, and the base of it was a larger diameter then my 4inch drain line... I cleaned the drain line, grinded it even, nice and clean, the new closet still would not go into the drain. I filed down the base of the new closet all around, and finally got it to go into the drain pipe, however still very hard to get low enough into the drain so the toilet would fit over the closet.. I of course broke it trying to tap it in using a block of wood and a rubber mallet. I then had to cut out the broken off set closet, so I am back to square one.. Do they make an offset closet for my toilet or am I going to have to keep fileing, and trying until I get the new closet to go in the drain all the way... I had a plumber out and he did not seem to want to do the work, he said he would have to air hammer the floor and put a new drain in, this drain is 4inch diameter. Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.
    SC-tbfd Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 09:50 PM
    I'm a litlle confused and I think the folks here that can answer your question might be too.
    Is the problem that the flange sits too high above the floor?
    Or just that the flange won't fit on the pipe.

Most of the offsets I've seen will fit over 3" drain or inside 4"
    plumberiamnotdp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Hi thanks for the response,
    The off set closet, the base of it goes into the drain pipe, it is male fitting going into the drain pipe, the draip pipe diameter is four inches, I have to file down the closet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install a new toilet (closet) flange over subfloor? [ 10 Answers ]

First off, please forgive me if I don't get the terminology correct. I am decent at home repair but have no real training other than trial and error. I'm trying to re-do my kids' bathroom, which has not been updated since the house was built. I removed the old tile floor and mortar bed and...

Lead closet replaced by pvc closet on toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Plumber replaced a lead closet with a pvc closet and now the toilet doesn't line up the way it used to.. It is forward 2" and sideways about 1-1/2 " Plumber says that is the best he can do.. I don't believe that . Is there a way it can line up like before.

Toilet plumbing closet bend to flange [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my newly installed toilet seemed to be a little loose on the flange and used a wrench to snug it up. The nut on one side tightened fine but on the other side, the bolt pulled through a rusted flange (actually a metal collar). The problem came in trying to replace the metal flange....

Is venting a toilet into a closet a code violation? [ 1 Answers ]

My mother recently puchased a 3 year old home. After she moved in we noticed that her hall coat closet always had a foul smell. I found the odor was coming from what looked like a common air vent in the closet. When I removed the vent grill, I found a pvc pipe, which is the is the toilet vent. It...

Leaking toilet - need new closet flange? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law (a fairly skilled, but sometimes lazy :confused: , handyman) installed a toilet in a house we are rehabbing. It has always leaked at the front of the base since being installed. It only seems to leak after someone has sat on it and then flushed - I haven't noticed it leak when just...

View more questions Search