Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrifiedlilsis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 04:35 PM
    sister treats me like an object with no real value as a person
    My sister has treated me like crap my entire life. She calls me retarded, stupid, idiotic, and treats me like a dog. She moved out a year ago but I still feel the effects of her calling me those things. I am dyslexic and already self doubted myself in that area but now I do it in everything. There's actually things I won't do because I feel I'm too stupid to do it. How can I get over this or am I :confused: just really stupid?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Honey, you can pick your friends but unfortunately you cannot pick your relatives. Your sister was very mean to you and should have stopped the torment to you years ago. You need to read some self esteem books and get back what your sister tried to deprive you of - self esteem! You are not stupid by any means. Being dyslexic is not the end of the world. Did you know that the actor Tom Cruise is dyslexic? He's a famous actor worth millions and he didn't let that stand in his way to succeed. He just tried a bit harder. I read a biography about him recently and I was amazed at just how determined a young man he was to succeed even if he could not properly dial a phone!
    Turasleon Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 09:41 AM
    It seems to me as if your sister had some sort of need to abuse you, for whatever reason. These words hurt you intensely, but remember, this is some damage that can be repaired.

You may be dyslexic, but as the poster before me implied, it is not the end of the world. If you can gain confidence in yourself, I promise, you will be able to overcome just about all that you doubt yourself with.

You may have a mental impairment but this does not make you stupid. Instead, make it work for you. Find walks of life where dyslexia will not be as big of an issue, learn coping methods, and most importantly, make good friends, and love good people. Just as twinkiedooter said... you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. You don't have to deal with your sister anymore if you so choose, but as long as you stay around individuals who can help you through this, and who base their treatments of you on you and your actions, not on your impairments, you will be very happy in life.

You can get through this, I promise. Don't be afraid to do things you feel you are too stupid to do. Try some of them. You'll really surprise yourself, and that, more than anything, is a huge confidence booster.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
    What were your mother and father doing during this period of her abusing you?

If they did nothing, you deserve a huge amount of their time and money to build up your sense of self into a positive. A huge amount.

You have to ask for it. :)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Just remember, no one can make you feel bad about yourself. You allow yourself to feel bad because of something that was said.

Your sister probably insulted you to make herself feel better. Limit your exposure to her to as close to zero as you can. You have to choose to believe in yourself and not get sucked into self pity. There are tons of good books at the library on the subject, so feel secure in the fact that you are not alone.

My big sis battled bad eyesight and dyslexia all through school. It's ironic that she makes her living as a novelist, isn't it?
    pleasehelpme101 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Think about this you are your own person and nobody can ever change that I understand that your sister was abusing you for a while but just try not to let it get to you can I tell you something?

"my entire life I was abused when I was little I watched my mother get hit and raped right before my eyes for 5 years it happened and every time I tried to defend her I got thrown to the wall and hit in the face and sprayd with pepper spray so I eventually gave up I watched it all happen and I couldn't do a thing about it it even put me in a insane isilum mental helth istitution because it drove me crazy eventually after a year I got taken away from my mother and forced to watch her fade away in the distance and didn't see he for 5 more years but when I finally saw her again he was laying in a hospital bed and she told me she had cancer and that che was going to die she gave me some of her things and she decided to take a nap I waited 24 hours for her to wake up and she never did so my dad took me back home 300 miles away and 2 days later we went back and I saw my mother dead laying on a bed in a church I thought she was sleeping so I tried to wake her up but she didn't move.

I want you to remember that everyone goes through hard times and I know that its not easy but I've found out that if you help other people who are having the same problem they too will help you and if you get it of your chest it won't effect you at all everyone is their own person I didn't allow my expirience in life get to me and I don't plan on letting it get to me just let things go east worry about your life and your happy times you will soon have and things will get better don't worry about your sister don't dwell on the bad things don't feel depression and don't give up on yourself you're the only one who can fix it remember that OK I will pray for you just hang in there.
    If you need anymore help just contact me OK!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is
    Our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most... We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
    It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people
    Permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
    - Marianne Williamson, American author and lecturer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding the real person from a photo [ 16 Answers ]

Is there any site that you can submit a photo to and trace its origins. I know someone sent me fake pictures but I want to know who the real person is... any suggestons

What Christmas treats for a person with diabetes who's going low-carb? [ 1 Answers ]

A loved one has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and I am wondering about Christmas treats I can make instead of the typical cookies , etc. that will be fun, festive, and something the entire family can enjoy. I don't want this person to feel left out. Any suggestions, or websites with...

Can a married person buy real estate with out their spouse signing. [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a married person can buy real estate with out having their spouse signing the contracts?

View more questions Search