Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Calling All Brits - Pt 2
    Looks like the waiting for the OFT tes case concerning Bank charges could finally be over.

Bank charges ruling due on Thursday | Money | guardian.co.uk

For our American friends, the UK Banks have been in serious trouble due to the large sums charged for people exceeding their overdrafts.
    These can be as much as £39 (nearly $80) per day!!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
    YIPPEE! About bloody time!
    BossMan

Apr 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
    A small quote

According to the OFT, banks receive up to £3.5bn a year in unauthorised overdraft fees - nearly £10m a day. (About $20 MILLION)

They charge up to £39 for a bounced cheque, standing order or direct debit, and critics of the system say this does not reflect the actual cost incurred by the banks, which could be as little as £2.

The OFT claims the charges are illegal under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999.
    Now you have some idea of the scale of this issue.
    It's NOT pocket change amounts.
    BossMan

Apr 22, 2008, 01:54 AM
    There's a lot more including some history.
    Director of Finance Online - Bank charges verdict issued this week
    Lula001 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2008, 02:07 AM
    Hopefully they will not go to appeal, I have heard some interesting situations where the banks have rang people if they are about to go overdrawn and also some cases where they have cancelled charges as the result of a phone call so I think that it is olooking good
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2008, 02:21 AM
    This just in.
    Judgement in the OFT's favour so the UTCCR does cover bank charges.

The Office of Fair Trading has won its High Court claim that charges levied by banks for unauthorised overdrafts are unfair.

Bank Charges: High Court Rules On Overdraft Fees |Sky News|Business
    BBC NEWS | Business | Banks lose overdraft charges case
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2008, 04:55 AM
    For those that want to read the judgement here it is: http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/jud...ent_240408.pdf
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 24, 2008, 05:17 AM
    I am not convinced that this verdict is entirely as reported in the press. The verdict has two conclusions:

1. That the charges are not unenforceable as penalty charges and,
    2. That the charges are capable for being assessed under the UTCCR.

The first point is very worrying, as it leaves the door open for a deal between the OFT and the banks, In my opinion, to set fees like they tried to do for credit cards. I must admit, I always thought the first argument was the most damning.
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2008, 05:20 AM
    BUT, that being said, credit card companies are still paying out the full amount of claims. ;)
    So even if there is a deal with the OFT, like cards, there may not be anything to inhibit the reclaim of all charges.

Mind you this time the OFT/Banks may actually get the wording right in such a way as to close the door they left open on the cards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling,Marie will you keep calling me [ 2 Answers ]

"Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling, Marie will you keep calling me" Every time the word"calling" is sung, it's held and rises. Any hints re anything? Title, artist, lyrics? Probably early 1950s.

Calling ALL Brits [ 85 Answers ]

Have you had ANY bank charges in the last 6 Years ? As you may have noticed from the news and other sources there is a growing movement to reclaim punative charges from the banks. These charges include unauthorised overdraft, declined Direct Debts and bounced cheques, not to mention the...

Song I saw performed on the Brits [ 2 Answers ]

Four guys, flawless performance, came on soon after Nelly Furtado won her award. Who was it and what was the song please?

Way to go Brits & Scotland Yard! [ 28 Answers ]

Major Terror Plot Foiled in Britain: http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=314638&sid=WOR Way to go, mates!

View more questions Search