Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don0927 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Outlets on my GFI don't work but GFI is working
    I have one plug in the garage and one out door plug that are not working. I have reset my GFI plug and the GFI plug is working however the other two plugs are still not working. Should I replace both plugs or is there something else going on?

The GFI outlet itself has power. The test and reset buttons also work. When I press the reset button the power comes back to the GFI plug but the outdoor outlets don't have power. The outlets are definitely connected to the GFI. The outdoor outlets worked in the past.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Please clarify - is the GFI outlet working, or not? The body of your message is inconsistent with the title. When you say that the "GFI plug is working" do you mean the outlet is working? Or do you mean that the "Test" and "Reset" buttons seem to work, but after reset you have no power at the GFI outlet? Also, do you have evidence that the outdoot outlet is connected to the GFI outet? Have either oftehse outlets worked in the past?

Apr 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
    The GFI outlet itself has power. The test and reset buttons also work. When I press the reset button the power comes back to the GFI plug but the outdoor outlets don't have power. The outlets are definitely connected to the GFI. The outdoor outlets worked in the past.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Apr 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
    IMO I would pull the plugs after the GFi and check for power with a meter. Make sure your getting power then go from there.

Im not sure if the GFI can go bad on the line side, and still be good on the load side.

MAYBE the GFI is bad even though you say its working.

My .02 on the matter

:D
    SC-tbfd Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Do gfci's have stab in connectors on the line side? I would check the connections at the gfci outlet that leads to the other outlets. And of course it's best to turn the power off before you go poking around...

Apr 22, 2008, 08:00 AM
    I checked the outlets on the line side last night and they were all working. What would cause the outlets to stop working then start working the next day?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
    I would remove GFI from wall. Check for power on Load side of GFI. Also you could temporarily remove GFI, and connect line to load wires to see if power restores to 2 Outlets, If it does, install new GFI.
    If it doesn't, may be on a different circuit or GFI.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Don, are you using the stab connection or the screws to connect your wires to the outlet? An open line or loose connection could account for this on again off again situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlets not working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There, I just moved in to an older home and my outlets are not working however, nothing is tripped on the breaker. I tried resetting both outlets in the kitchen and still nothing. I am a single girl who is afraid of getting ripped off by someone; I KNOW NOTHING IN THIS AREA!! Can you tell me...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancée and I had recently bought a house this past fall, and being in the house with our first Christmas approaching I hung some exterior Christmas lights, not know that the ice dams on the edge of the house grow to very large. Anyway one day I noticed that one outlet in the kitchen and the...

Outlets Not Working [ 21 Answers ]

I have been checking other posts about outlets not working but I still don't know what to do. During an Ice Storm this past weekend, my Christmas lights went out. I have the lights plugged into a power strip that is then plugged into an outlet outside. During the storm half the lights went out and...

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Certain Outlets Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

My outlets in my 2 1/2 bathrooms & in my basement are not working. They are not on the same circuit breakers & the breakers have not tripped. Is there a short somewhere & how do I fix?

View more questions Search