Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1968Droptop Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 09:22 PM
    Murray rider troubles
    I got a free `97 Murray riding lawn mower (42" cut) with a Tecumseh 15.5 engine. All I know is it was given away (to me) because it had been sitting for a while. The previous owners wife (she gave it to me, tired of it just sitting! ) told me the drive belt was toast, and that's why it was parked. I've replaced the drive belt, it was toast ! Other than that it's in real nice shape so I figured I'd throw a few bones at it. Here's the trouble I'm having. It doesn't seem to pull any fuel through the carb. I pulled it apart and cleaned it 3 times with no luck. So I ordered a direct replacement unit. Put it on today and I've got the same problem (guess it wasn't the carb... darn it!). It will run fine if I take an eye dropper and feed it fuel with the air cleaner off. But w/o giving it direct fuel, NOTHING ! I'm stumped here. I've been working a vehicles for 25+ years. This one's got me. You need spark, fuel, and compression to make something run. I've got spark, haven't done a comp test yet (don't know what it should be?), but it runs smooth as glass when I'm using the dropper.

ANY idea's ? Thanks for the help !

Chris
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 10:03 PM
    Compression at least 80, but that sounds good, it starts with a little gas down the carb, though since it was sitting a while, did you clean the tank? Some have a tiny mesh screen at the outlet that gets clogged, and if it has a in-line filter, that gets clogged from gummy gas, and the fuel lines themselves can get clogged, for the fuel lines, don't mess... get new. Your most likely not getting the fuel to the carb. Be sure to change the oil! To get that old acid/contaminant ridden oil out!

Feb 16, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Compression atleast 80, but that sounds good, it starts with a little gas down the carb, though since it was sitting a while, did you clean the tank? Your most likely not getting the fuel to the carb. Be sure to change the oil! to get that old acid/contaminant ridden oil out!
    I forgot to mention there is gas coming out of the carb at the drain screw. I did not clean the filter(s), but gas runs freely out of the line. I do plan on cleaning them, just wanted to get it to fire. The gas is new, I drained the old stuff out (wasn't really much in there). If I put my hand over the carb intake I can feel and hear it sucking air in. I'm really stumped here. If it had bad compression, it won't run with the eye dropper. If it had no spark, it wouldn't run at all. If I uncrew the carb drain, fuel pours out. Should I maybe let a cup or so of fuel pour out the drain hole ? BTW this was the case with BOTH carbs. When I pulled the old one off, it was FULL of fuel. I've got to be missing something, but what?? Thanks for the help!!

Chris

P.S. I've got a new oil and filter in hand. Was going to warm it up a bit and dump it. Currently 25* in outter Seattle area.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Does the new carb have adjustment screws? One for the high speed on the bowl nut? Try setting them at 1.5 turns out from snug.

Feb 16, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Does the new carb have adjustment screws? One for the high speed on the bowl nut? Try setting them at 1.5 turns out from snug.
    Nope, the only screw on it is at the top, torx head. I'm guessing it's idle speed. Other than that no adjustments at all. Frustrating to say the least. Thanks for trying to help me figure this one out.

Chris

P.S. Would pictures help ?
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Pics may help, even though this also seems unlikely, trash could have gotten into the new carb. These new epa carbs are a pain...
    ste6967 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Two things take off gas cap,give it a blo-job. Gas cap port clog with bugs? Or rubber o-ring [seat] neddle- seat dorps down with vibration . Should have a main jet on bottem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Late '80's vintage 18HP, 44" rider. Been running like a champ until recently. Started running very rough a couple of weeks ago. Had to choke all the way to keep in running. Decided to start with new spark plugs to rectify. Now I don't get any spark. Turns over just fine. Amp meter on dash...

Craftman rider mower won't cut [ 7 Answers ]

I have a craftman rider that I changed the belt and blades and it won't cut. Blades slows or stops when high grass is met. Doesn't sound like it used to. Any idea from someone with more knowledge than me.

Help, about to throw Murray Rider in the bottom of the lake! [ 19 Answers ]

Ok, so I was given this Murray riding lawn mower for free. Guess I found out why. Thought it should have been an easy fix but now I'm so pissed at it. Ive replaced about every damn part and it still won't start. It has an 11hp Briggs and Stratton engine on it. Ive replaced the battery, starter...

Murray Rider Will Not Start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray Select Ridding Mower model # 425600x8A it will not start? The fuse is fine. The seat switch was disconnected the key switch is on the funny thing is that I disconnected the battery ground side and when I touch the cable to the GR post the engine turns over, but no spark. I noticed...

Murray rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Ive got a fully charged battery, the starter just chugs a little, Not enough to start it up, and the red connection at the starter Heats up and smokes. Is the starter bad, or do I have electrical problem elsewhere? I think I just replaced the starter last summer. Help?

View more questions Search