Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgau62 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Tourest Visa for minor to visit United States from Philippines
    I am an American Citizen currently married to a filipino gal who has a permenent resident visa to stay in the United States. We want to bring our niece, an 11 year old female here from the Philippines and educate her in the United States. Can I bring her into the United States on a tourist visa, and when she's here, apply for a student visa to remain in the United States in that manner? If I'm correct, how do I obtain form package for tourist visa for minor to enter the United States from the Philippines. Her parents will approve and sign whatever papers are required for her to visit the United States. We are financially able to provide housing and educational expenses for our niece. Thanks for your help. Phil
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 12:45 PM
    If you want to sponsor her to go to school, you should contact the school, apply, obtain I-20, and send it to her parents along with your financial documents, so they can apply for F-1 visa.

To get visitor's visa for minor in case the parents are not traveling with her is not easy, even with written consent from her parents. The other disadvantage of getting visitor's visa and then change to student visa is her status changes but not her visa, which means if she leaves US even for a short trip, she will have to submit application for F-1 visa from the Philippines.

If she obtain student visa (F-1) in the first place, she can leave and return as long as her I-20 is valid.

BTW, foreign students ( up to K-12 level) are no longer accepted in public schools in US, they must go to private schools only.
    pgau62 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    If you want to sponsor her to go to school, you should contact the school, apply, obtain I-20, and send it to her parents along with your financial documents, so they can apply for F-1 visa.

To get visitor's visa for minor in case the parents are not traveling with her is not easy, even with written consent from her parents. The other disadvantage of getting visitor's visa and then change to student visa is her status changes but not her visa, which means if she leaves US even for a short trip, she will have to submit application for F-1 visa from the Philippines.

If she obtain student visa (F-1) in the first place, she can leave and return as long as her I-20 is valid.

BTW, foreign students ( up to K-12 level) are no longer accepted in public schools in US, they must go to private schools only.
    Your last sentence, I quote "BTW, foreight students", what is BTW stand for, and if I'm reading you correctly, this last sentence does not apply to my situation if I obtain 1-20 from school and apply for F-1 visa, is that correct? And thank you.

I have one more question. I have retired friends that have asked me to provide my wife's sister, whom is 32, single and living in the Philippines, for a live in housekeeper and care for those elderly folks. What would be the best way for me to act upon this. Apply for a work visa here in the US and send the appropriate papers, or apply for tourist visa and when she arrives, the apply for work permit in the United States. Thanks so much for you time and information. Phil
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Immigration officers no longer allow visitor's visa holders stay in US as long as 6 months like they used to do.

Generally speaking, only registered nurses and doctors are eligible for employment based visa, if she is not qualified for this, then temporary worker visa maybe a better choice. Consider the current situation, you should consult an experienced immigration attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the cost of visa from Ghana to the United States? [ 11 Answers ]

What is the cost of visa from Ghana to the United States?

What are the time limitations of a visa to visit this Country United States? [ 2 Answers ]

How long can a visa from Ghana to the United States be legal before it needs to be updated? Regards, girad1961

What is an H1 B visa with premium category for the United States? [ 1 Answers ]

What is an H1 B visa with premium category for the United States?

Visa to seek medical treatment in United States [ 1 Answers ]

My mother in the Philippines is daignosed with stage 4 Bladder cancer and was told by her oncologist that she has only 9 to 12 months to live. I want to bring her here to United States for a more aggressive cancer treatment. How and where can I get a visa for her.

FiancŽ VISA from Philippines to United States [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm julius de Guzman from Baguio City, Philippines. What are the requirements I need to apply for a fiancé visa? Thank you for giving me the information I need.

View more questions Search