Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria06 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Potty training is a nightmare!
    I have a wee 2 year old gorgeous intelligent girl who is showing all the signs of being ready to be potty trained but just can't quite seem to get it. She likes to sit on the potty but never does anything in it, she tells me when she has been for a poo but not when she needs one or needs a pee. Its all been dragging on for a couple of months now and I am getting a bit frustrated!

Does anyone have any tips of how to make that transition. I work and can't spend a full week taking her back and forwad to the toilet/potty and nursery are letting her call the shots.

Would love to get her trained before our next arrives in August.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 08:49 AM
    You do realise that rushing and pushing it now could result in her going backwards when the new one arrives I tried before our son was born in jan but gave up and I'm glad I did for now she tells me she wants a wee and we use the toilet not the potty she hates the potty.
    You just have to ask her all the time if she needs a wee lots of encouragement and a wee chart helped our daughter I'm not pushing the pooh thing just yet summer will make that easy when its warm enough to run about nakey.
    ginger1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 06:14 PM
    If she knows she needs to make a poop BEFORE it happens (ie: if she tells you she's going to make one, or if she goes and hides to make one in her diaper), then she's ready to be trained. And that can take as little as one time on the potty. You have to catch her BEFORE she makes a poop (NOT during, it won't work), and then you have to get her to the potty to do it. You must make her stay there until she does it in the potty. Even if she says she doesn't have to anymore, or that she'll try again later... DO NOT LET HER LEAVE THAT POTTY UNTIL SHE DOES IT IN THE POTTY!! Even if you're in that bathroom with her for 2 hours!! Once she resigns herself to the fact that we poop in a potty, not our diaper, she'll do it. It's that simple, really. (But brace yourself, because sometimes they really don't want to give up the diaper... it's too easy to poop on the go, wherever you may be, and whatever you might be doing!)
    Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
    They will when they will, and there is not much use trying to rush it.

Going to the potty has to be fun, not some punishment. A reward when they go. Also have set times throughout the day to sit them on the pot to see if they will pee and so on.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 06:31 PM
    I was told that many children are "afraid" to use the potty. They like the idea 'cause grown-ups do it but losing something into a container is like losing a body part to some of them. So, since you work and don't have the time to constantly watch her, relax, she will do it when she's ready.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a three year old male dauschund who is still not potty trained. At one year old he was trained and than we adopted two more dauschunds. It seemed to be not to long after that he began to have more and more accidents. He knows how to go to the bathroom outside, but seems...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a year old mini dacshund and he is not potty trained, he refuses to do his poopies outside. We do have him in a crate and he goes for a long period with not accidents in there and we take him right outside and he won't go. We have disciplined him for this much, even put him back in...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

View more questions Search