Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quiero_matarme Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Windows xp logon screen problems
    Hi all,
    Well, I was using windows xp media centre (sp2) for several days, but it was not original, so I had to activate them. I tried to download a crack from the internet to kill wga and I installed it. I suspected that it was a virus (as it turned out to be) but it was already too late. Now, when I turn on my PC, it loads windows normally, but when it is about to appear the logon screen it reboots, and it's really getting on my nerves! Tried the recovery console but didn't find anything useful. Now I'm currently using vista on my other hdd. I suspect the virus messed up with the logon files or sth. Please, if anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it very much... and I've learned my lesson: never download cracks again! Thanks in advance!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Why didn't you find anything useful in the recover console?

That is the best option to correct this, select Destructive Recovery in advanced options.

This will completely wipe out your HD and re set everything back to out of box condition.

Unless you can find a virus protection that can eliminate your virus, I don't see any better option.

Good Luck!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 10:28 AM
    So the Media Center OS was pirated?
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Apr 21, 2008, 04:19 PM
    So you downloaded a crack for the OS that you thought was a virus but you installed it anyway?

I could give you a couple of suggestions but since we don't support pirated software or cracks for software here you're out of luck. I suggest you purchase a licensed copy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WIN XP freezes at Safe Mode (on logon screen) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Windows XP Pro Safe Mode problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop (nearly three months old). First let me say I religiously keep my antivirus up to date. I have Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware and I use HijackThis. I...

Windows Logon Screen [ 3 Answers ]

I used to have my logon screen so that the turn off computer button wasn't there. But I had to get it all reset and now the turn off computer button is there and I can't remember how I got it to go away before. Anyone know how?

HELP! Want to Logon using Welcome Screen! [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, the way I logon (Windows XP) to my own PC is using the Classic Command Prompt and I have been trying to switch to the Welcome Screen in which a user can simply click on his/her name rather than having to type out a user name and password. In order to attempt to switch to the Welcome...

Ctrl-alt-del secure logon screen [ 1 Answers ]

How to turn this feature on in win xp professional envirnoment? I tried the following procedure but it won't work for win xp. Please help. Control panel - users account - NO ADVANCED TAB to choose... Thank you.

View more questions Search