Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casacantamar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Silversmith Hallmark
    Can you tell me anything about the silversmith hallmark S&B PLATERO?:confused:
    hollywoodrey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 10:43 AM
    S & B are the first name initials and "PLATERO" is the last. I am familiar with a Mike Platero who has been doing sivler work since 1965. He works at times with the Zuni tribes. You may want to check within that scope. His wife is Evelyn but who knows, they may have relatives. Good Luck!
    goodmedicine Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Have navajo older navajo belt buckel all silver with initials IHM sandcast want help.
    PattiRabbit Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Here is a quote from my book, "Hallmarks of the Southwest" by Barton Wright, revised and expanded 2nd edition, copyright 1989 & 2000, pg. 138. (ISBN: 0-7643-0989-7).
    Qoute:
    "PLATERO, SCOTTY Navajo
    SILVERSMITH: Pieceworker.
    HALLMARK: Stamped surname with shared initials in 1/16 Gothic print, first used in 1974.
    Spouse is Betty Platero.
    From Thoreau, New Mexico region."

'S&B PLATERO' is the hallmark they show in this listing. Hope this helps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmedicine View Post
    have navajo older navajo belt buckel all silver with initials IHM sandcast want help.

Please read the rules of the site - "agree" is not meant as a space to provide answers. Ask Me Help Desk - FAQ
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PattiRabbit View Post
    Here is a quote from my book, "Hallmarks of the Southwest" by Barton Wright, revised and expanded 2nd edition, copyright 1989 & 2000, pg. 138. (ISBN: 0-7643-0989-7).
    Qoute:
    "PLATERO, SCOTTY Navajo
    SILVERSMITH: Pieceworker.
    HALLMARK: Stamped surname with shared initials in 1/16 Gothic print, first used in 1974.
    Spouse is Betty Platero.
    From Thoreau, New Mexico region."

'S&B PLATERO' is the hallmark they show in this listing. Hope this helps.

I did not realize you wrote this book - it's certainly well respected, often quoted, very high ratings. A friend of mine has it in her personal research library and uses it all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Southwest Hallmark Q.T. [ 12 Answers ]

I've been collecting this inlay jewelry for years. Does anyone have any info re: a hallmark stamp... Q.T. sterling or .925... with a copyright sign? I believe it may be costume and manufactured. Many of my pieces look exactly the same. Lots of stamped backs with inlay Plastic and or real stone....

Silversmith [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to identify the makers of a necklace marked Tony+Rita. Can anyone identify this mark? Please help me.

Navajo Silversmith [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a wonderful bolo tie made about 1960 to 1970's. It is signed with initials L J I would like to know identy of maker. Thanks if you can help. B.A.

View more questions Search