Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MTrett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
    How does our retirement plan compare to other boomers?
    I'm trying to get a handle on how my wife and I are doing, relative to our demographic, on retirement preparation.

We are in our late 50's (me 58, she 56) with no kids and no mortgages. Our primary home is worth about 1 million and we own a rental property worth about $450K. In investments and combination of Roth and tradtiional IRA's we have another $600k.
    Roughly our net worth is just over 2 million.
    We're both in good health except for knee problems of my wife's but they are covered by workman's comp.

We'd like to retire at 62. Our SS income at that point would be about $1500 per month. The investment property makes about $1400 per month.
    We currently live on about 70k per year. We've traveled extensively around the world as part of our career so we aren't looking to do lots ofthat, preferring to stay around and enjoy Montana.

Any financial advisors out there want to give us an idea of how we are doing relative to our peers? I hear so much about the boomers being utterly unprepared. I'd like to have a sense of whether I should buckle down and really work hard for the next 7 years or so or whether, relative to others, we can release ourselves from some of the anxiety.

Rett
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
    I'm 54 and retired from a 30 year job at 48, had enough, so moved. Helping raise grandkids, is about all I'm good for. Wife agrees, and is mad about inheriting my old job of taking out the trash. You and your wife need to sit down, and honestly plan on what it is you want to do with the rest of your lives. Then do it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 02:28 PM
    you are 300 times more prepared than most,

The normal perosn your age has no IRA or retirmement plan what so ever, normally owe for over 1/2 of their home value still and will not be getting it paid off till they are in their late 60's if then. And have no investment property.

So most people your age will find theirself still working at 70 as the greeter at walmart because they can not afford to ever retire
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 07:48 AM
    You don't say whether the $1400/month from rental property is net (after expenses such as mortgage and real estate taxes). Assuming it is, then you're not in too bad shape. The $600K in your investments should allow you to withdraw about $30K/year - that's a 5% draw rate, which is pretty conservative. That plus the SS and rental income will generate the $70K/year you're looking for. You don't mention what you plan to do with the house - you may want to think about taking advantage of the capital gains exclusion for selling your primary home to get some equity put - perhaps moving to a less expensive property. One bit of advice: don't be too conservative with the investments - you need this money to last about 25 years or so, and if you get too conservative with it you run the risk of having inflation eat you up. So while $70K sounds like a nice annual take now, 25 years from now you will probably need more like $150K/year to maintain your standard of living. Think of it this way - if you had retired 25 years ago you would have probably thought that $30K/year was more than sufficient. So be sure to stay reasonably invested in a mix of stocks as well as bonds so that your investment can continue to grow even as you withdraw at 5%.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
    I would say you are more prepared than most, but you aren't out of the woods. As EB pointed out, that $600K is not going to last too long. I would be more comfortable if you were to downsize the home upon retirement. Even if you went into a property half the value, it would still be tight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawing my 401K & Retirement plan [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving out of state and am looking into withdrawing my 401K to pay my debt and moving expenses since I will be unemployed for a short period. I have about $47K in my 401K Plan and $24K in my Retirement Plan. I know I will pay a 10% penalty. Are the tax consequences/penalties the same...

Retirement plan contribution [ 7 Answers ]

I am in my companies retirement plan through American funds. When I first stared 1 1/2 years ago. After three months they started taking money out of my check to companies in there retirement plan. How do they have the right to take money out of my check without my consent? Is this legal? I...

How should a 26yr old invest/plan for retirement? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a single 26yr old trying to be financially responsible while working part-time and going to school part time. I’ve tried talking to my bank employees but I think they just want me to purchase their plans. I don't have or make enough to warrant paying for investment advice. I'm concerned that...

Information on "Hardship Withdrawal" from Retirement Plan [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My husband who is 44 yrs old just lost his job & is having a hard time finding another one. He worked for this company for about 2 1/2 years & has accumulated a little money in his retirement account. The only money we currently have coming in is my child support which is a far cry...

Compare [ 4 Answers ]

Compare the vietnam war to the war in iraq.

View more questions Search