Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 20, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Why Adam? Why Eve?
    I've always wondered about this very fundamental question. Who SAID, their names were Adam and Eve? If these were the first and only humans in the world, and they bore sons Cain, Abel, and other children, who did their children sleep with to create the grandchildren of Adam and Eve? Does this mean incest was going on here? For literal thinking bible believers, that would have to be the case. The more questions I have, the more I lean toward evolution.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    I've always wondered about this very fundamental question. Who SAID, their names were Adam and Eve? .
    God

Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    If these were the first and only humans in the world, and they bore sons Cain, Abel, and other children, who did their children sleep with to create the grandchildren of Adam and Eve? Does this mean incest was going on here? For literal thinking bible believers, that would have to be the case. The more questions I have, the more I lean toward evolution
    If you were a literal believer, that is the only conclusion you can reach. I note, however, that this would not be incest, since the Law of moses had not been handed down at that point.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
    If you still have doubts/problems with evolution check out this series of 'made easy' educational videos on YouTube. It explains the science behind the thoery very nicely and answers common critism that are used by creationist preachers.

YouTube - potholer54's Channel

I watched them just out of general curiosity and I was surprised how the author managed to explain complex science in a simple way without actually distorting the ideas, as often happens in schools/ basic level publications.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Of course since I believe that God created many people, But even if one believes in evolution, and life started in one cell, I guess that cell developed into both the tree and the fish and the bird, and the early animals had to have sex with? Welll not sure who if they developed from a single being.

But in the beginning sin did not have mankind unpure, so sex within a family was not a danger as it is now..

Most likely as to their names, God would have given Adam his name, Adam named Eve.

But to correct cozyk actually the liberal bible people would believe that God created many people, that the story of Adam and Eve are the lines leading to the Hewbrew nation, since that is what the Old Testement is, their history and relastionship with God And perhaps the other people God created were not but developed into the people of the other nations.

All we know is that God created them, the exact how is not told to us
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomterm8
    God

If you were a literal believer, that is the only conclusion you can reach. I note, however, that this would not be incest, since the Law of moses had not been handed down at that point.
    Please help me with the law of moses. Incest isn't just a moral thing. It is a biological scientific thing too. Did biology and DNA not apply? Birth defects weren't a problem?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
    No, birth defecs were not an issue, the idea is that problems in DNA, biology and birth defects come about because of the nature of man, at the time of adam and eve the human body was much more pure ( leading to the very long life times of people at that time) So there would be no issue.
    But of course you have the same issues of interbreading with the idea of evolution, and it even cuases more issues for them, since who did they mate with, it means that more than one item mutated and developed into something else

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adam and Eve [ 65 Answers ]

I truly believe that Adam and Eve didn't physically pick an apple off a tree and eat it, it's symbolic. And, what really happened was the serpent beguiled them into sex and so then they figured out they were naked. Am I the only one? I have a hard time finding people who were taught this way,too.

Adam & Eve [ 22 Answers ]

From the scripture, we were told that Adam and Eve were the 1st people created by God. Eve was Adam's wife. And if I may be correct, it was further said that all men/women on earth came from Adam and Eve. The question remains: How did people multiple? Does it mean that Adam's 1st son married his...

Adam and Eve or Others? [ 36 Answers ]

This idea came out from somebody I know and it got me to think about it as well. Everybody knows the story about how Adam and Eve is the start of human race and we came from them. That would mean we are all brothers and sisters and we are all related. Now here is the question. Is it possible...

Adam & Eve [ 59 Answers ]

Who believes in Adam & eve? Who believes that they were the start of man kind?

Adam Smith [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question: How does Adam Smith's allegory of the shopkeeper allege that capitalism solves the problem of human evil once and for all? How might one argue against this claim? What do you think?

View more questions Search