Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sampath78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Early Withdrawl
    Hi all,

I have limited knowledge on 401(k) and have ben reading many articles on the net. I need advice on how to withdraw the amount from my 401(k) with minimum tax/penalty.

I am 30 years old. I worked in US from 2002 - 2006 and invested in 401k. My company also contributed and this grew to around $21k. Since then I have moved to UK for studies (2006-2007) and then I work here in UK (2007 onwards). During all this time, I never left the company - I was in sabbatical during my studies and now, I work for the same company, in their UK branch.

I wish to withdraw the money and either move it to UK (working country) or India (home country). I am happy to preserve this as another local retirement plan or as cash.

Questions:
    1) Hardship withdrawl- Student Loan: Though I have finished studies, I have an outstanding student loan in Wachivia bank for $45K. Can I withdraw from my 401k and pay here? Will Ibe able to avoid the penalty 10% in this method? I don't have any other income from US, so I suppose I will pay around 12-14% income tax for this $21K - nearly $3K.
    2) Hardship withdrawl- Primary home: I am building a primary home in India that costs much more than $21K. Can I withdraw from my 401k and pay here? Will Ibe able to avoid the penalty 10% in this method? I don't have any other income from US, so I suppose I will pay around 12-14% income tax for this $21K - nearly $3K.
    3) Local pension plan: I read in a post in this forum that it may not be possible to move 401k to UK pension plans, but would I be able to move it to a retirement plan in India? Will I be able to avoid penalty/taxes in this way?
    4) Distributions: I hear about distributions over a period. Will this provision help me? Will I be able to avoid penalty/taxes in this way?
    5) IRA: I also hear some advice on moving the funds to an IRA. Will this help my cause and how can I do this?

What is the best way and how much will I loose in tax/penalty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sampath
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
    The "hardship withdrawals" from a 401(k) are not without penalty - so under whichever scenario you consider, whether it be for education or a house purchase, at your age a withdrawal from a 401(k) incurs both regular income tax on the withdrawal plus the 10% penalty.

As for rolling the $21K to a retirement vehicle in India - you should ask your plan administrator about that. Most plans do not allow an in-service rollover. Also, a rollover to a foreign plan may trigger income tax - I'm not an expert on this aspect, but sooner or later Uncle Sam will want to collect the income tax from you that you deferred when you invested in the 401(k).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

We withdrew in August 2006 my wife's 401k to pay off bills. She has been off work for two years. A Social Security Judge in March 2007 declared her disabled and unable to work. We will be receieving a settlement from Social Security. We were told that since she was disabled there would not be a...

401k early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I was in a car accident last march and have been off work since. I received a letter stating I am terminated because of being off more than a year. I want to know in Kentucky what taxes and penalties I have to pay to get my 401k out if any :p

Early 401k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Last year (2006) I withdrew all of my 401 k from my former employer. How do I account for this in filing my taxes and how does the 10% early withdrawel get factored in. The company already withheld 20%

401K Early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

My wife will not listen to me! She feels that we need the money from a previous employers 401K plan to help with paying our bills since she doesn't make much money anymore. She only has about $8,000.00 in there and according to the way I see it, she will need to have 20% fed. Tax withheld, and 8%...

View more questions Search