Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dee074 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Eruption of water from toilet and kitchen sink.
    Hello! I have a question or two that hopefully someone can help me understand. My brother lives in an apartment building in a city where his apartment is at the lowest level. (Namely the basement level.) He has frequent occurrences where his kitchen sink drain and his toilet will literally erupt like a volcano sending a jet of water one to two feet in the air. He's told his landlord about it and the man insists that there is nothing wrong with the plumbing, especially since the toilet flushes fine. I think otherwise. To my knowledge, there is no strong sewage smells and everything does flush down fine. There seems to be no blockages anywhere we know of. When the incidents occur, first there is a loud gurgle followed by a strong bubbling eruption. These incidents appear to be at random around the clock, but occur mostly in the wee hours of the morning. (Between 12:00am and 4:30am.) Has anyone ever heard of an incident like this happening? What would make the toilet and sink behave like that? Last question, is living in this apartment dangerous? Any help with this mystery will be greatly appreciated!

Dee
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Aside from the noise there must be a large amount of water everywhere. How does he deal with that ? Does he wet vac it all out and has the landlord seen all this water ?
    Dee074 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 05:37 PM
    It makes a mess but there's not as much water as you would think. This is because the water shoots straight up for about 10-15 seconds and then comes back down with a splash. It doesn't spray outwards and most times he keeps the lid down. He cleans what does land on the floor up with a mop and bucket. The landlord was made aware of everything, but like I said he claims that there is nothing wrong with the plumbing. I had never heard of a problem like this and neither has anyone else I've talked to. That's why I've posted my questions here. I figured maybe someone out there might have a clue as to what is going on.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Dee:

There are just so many ways to answer your question... We have heard of this many times (apartment building... basement apartment, etc.).

This usually turns out to be a main drain that is beginning to clog.. and you, brother, and landlord should be aware that one day this drain may fully clog... and if knowone home, place could fill with sewage from all apartments above until discoverd!. *yuck*.

If I were your brother I would take out insurance that covers this scenario... just in case (should not be too expensive to add to renter's insurance policy).

You said this happens in the early hours.. That is odd.

If was a building sewer issue I would expect it to show up when building sewer is used most often (5:00 -7:30 am, 5:00-7:00pm).

Just for giggles... call the local sewer department and see if they have been working on the sewer lines in the area lately... specifically if they have been JETTING the sewer mains in street at night times!

Anyway, others will be along to chime in soon (what is so great about this place (Hi Tickle! ) ). I am sure together we will present a well-balanced answer to your questions/concerns!

Let us know what you think.

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure kitchen sink after water heater flush [ 4 Answers ]

I flushed my water heater today. When I was done, the water pressure at all the sinks, tub, washer, dishwasher, etc worked just fine, except for the kitchen sink. I took out the aerator and confirmed there was nothing there. Ran the water without the aerator in and water pressure is still about...

No Water in the Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

My friends moved into their house (6 years old) over the weekend. Everything was fine when they went to sleep last night, but this morning, there is no water coming from the kitchen faucet. All faucets in the bathrooms work fine, as do the toilets, the dishwasher and the sprayer attachment to the...

No Water in the Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have the new Plumbing (The on/off levers) for each water outlet in the house ***not sure if this is relevant info... Here is my problem... First my hot water stopped running out of the kitchen sink. I closed and reopened the valve under the sink and it would either rip out or spit out the...

No water in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

I was washing dishes last week when I suddenly lost all hot and cold water from the kitchen sink. The spray attached to the faucet works, but hardly any water comes out when I just open the faucets (two handles). There also appears to be no water getting to the dishwasher adjacent to the sink, but...

No Water Kitchen Sink [ 4 Answers ]

I have a similar problem with my kitchen sink. It doesn't matter which, hot or cold, is being used. I moostly use the hot as it is closer to my work area. We have hot and cold water with no issues not 10 feet away in a 1/2 bath. The dishwasher is connected through the same sink pluming and...

View more questions Search