Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gajan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
    How would 1099 affect a Canadian Resident
    Hi I just got a job offer by an American company and they would want me to go with 1099, but I will be working in Canada specifically Ontario. So my question is, how does this affect me or my income? Can someone help me better understand how 1099 works for a Canadian Resident employed by a US firm but working in Canada? Thanks, anything will help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Gajan:

Sorry, but you need to contact someone familiar with Canadian tax law.
    gajan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Thanks.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with Canadian tax laws or have recommendations for a forum or site to get more information.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Google "Canadian Tax Law" is my best advice!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 09:21 PM
    You would fill out your Canadian tax forms recognizing your income. You live and reside in Ontario so you would pay Provincial - Ont taxes and Canadian - Federal taxes
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 09:33 PM
    I cannot vouch for Captain Forest's credentials as a tax expert, but he lives in Canada (according to his profile), which makes him more qualified than me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Canadian on F1 - 1099-Misc, Tax Treaty? [ 1 Answers ]

I am Canadian in the US on a F1 Visa. I will be filing 1040NR for 2005. I did my CPT over the summer and instead of sending me a W2, my employer sent me a 1099-MISC, for $10K. I believe that Article XV of the Canada-US tax treaty exempts $10K from taxes. Is Self-employment income (reported...

Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and...

1099 misc-from a non-resident state for summer job [ 1 Answers ]

I am a freelance designer so my job takes me everywhere. Last summer I worked in MA. I am a resident of CT. Do I need to file a tax return for MA as well? I have reported it on my federal return using turbo tax and it did not warn me that I need to fill MA as well. If I need to file MA, do I file...

View more questions Search