Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttn5031 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
    What's your opinion!
    PSU contacts Shipley concerning the purchase of fuel oil heat the school building during winter months. In the phone conversation, Shipley agrees to make 8 shipments of oil to the school over a 6-month period from Oct 15, 1984 to April 15, 1985, totalling 750 gallons/month at $1.25/gallon.

Shipley makes 4 shipments. With each shipment, the delivery truck driver has PSU sign an invoice for the individual shipments. Within 10 days of shipment, PSU sends payment. All PSU checks were accepted by Shipley and deposited in their business account.

After 4 payment, Shipley send a letter to PSU that the price of fuel oil has risen drastically. They can't continue to supply feul at the terms set forth in the original agreement.

PSU receiving the letter,contacts Shipley and attempts to get them to change their mind. When they are unsuccessful, PSU close school. They refund all of the student's tuition.

PSU sues Shipley for breach of contract. What you think the rights and defenses, if any, of probably outcome

I guess:
    Shipley might have a commercial impracticability defense.
    Depends on the details of the contract. If there are no clauses allowing for drastic rises in price to change the deal, then the school should win.

Most likely though their damages will not include the refunded tuition. They could have taken the oil under protest and paid the higher rate, or found another supplier. And then sued for the difference. It was their choice not to pursue other ways of keeping the school open.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 11:01 AM
    You asked my opinion and here it is - in the time it took you to write this post and then post it on two different threads and then read the answers you could have done your homework yourself.

This sounds like highs school business class.

I believe there's a posted policy about the board not helping with homework.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You asked my opinion and here it is - in the time it took you to write this post and then post it on two different threads and then read the answers you could have done your homework yourself.

This sounds like highs school business class.

I believe there's a posted policy about the board not helping with homework.
    So well put!

I passed on this one, wish I had come up with as clever a response as you did!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Sad law questions are not getting more realistic to real life. And even worst is that you are not wanting to do your own work, You will not learn anything without looking it up yourself
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Gosh, with names like PSU and Shipley you could have at least rephrased or renamed in your post. Please do your own homework. That's what you need to do - learn to figure out this stuff before you end up in the real world and haven't a clue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a second opinion [ 4 Answers ]

Right, this may take a while. Last year I asked a good friend out (she had moved nearby to NY from Dallas - we had lived far apart before this). She said yes, but had a boyfriend at the time (I was unaware of the boyfriend - she hadn't told me about him because of her feelings for me) and...

Opinion [ 10 Answers ]

OK so I give a lot of advise on these forums but that doesn't mean that I don't have problems too... how else can you give advise unless you have been through some things in your life. I have been with a guy for 4 years. We got married last year valentines day and we have a new baby together as...

In need of an opinion [ 1 Answers ]

All right so I know it's hard to juge a relationship from just one side of the picture but here's my story. So my girlfriend and I have been going out for a year. We met last June and pretty much hit it off right away. We we're both coming out of a serious relationship but we thought let's just...

Need some help / opinion [ 16 Answers ]

I've been swimming at the university pool since July and sort of known this boy. It took him a couple of weeks of saying 'hi' and chit chat to ask for my number and ask if I wanted to have lunch (that was August). Although we agreed to meet up (weeks later), he didn't show up... and had some...

View more questions Search