Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    answerboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 10:52 AM
    dahbuldee -
    If you look at the applications of some of the big employers here, they will still follow WAC 162-12-140 (10 year limitation, though for some reason I have not found yet, they limit it to 7 - possibly because of the consumer report). Even in accounting jobs I have applied for, the application was the same. I think the general accounting recruiters are stretching it to say just because you are in accounting you are handling proprietary info or items of value, but I would not worry about them. Most of their jobs are not worth pursuing. They are not worth your time. They are not worth my time.

I have always found a way, and any of us can. Don't think about all the B.S. they throw at you - think about everything you have going for you and stay hopeful. It always works out - it has and it will. Screw anyone else who tells you different. At most we could use some energies to get some laws changed, but don't let their judgment of you affect you. They are seeing an illusion my friend. For example, my previous employers would be shocked to know I was a felon. They would not believe it - which is why all of this is so distorted and ridiculous. We cannot be defined or judged by our past, because, for most of us, it is not even who we are today. So screw them, just keeping moving towards what you want and you will get it. They cannot stop it.
    just trying to do good Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Comment on CharlieN's post
    Its life
    jtjones73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Hey all, I can honestly tell you that I know of no state where it is unlawful for them to discriminate against a felon, every industry can in every state and it's legal, 100%. Yes it's a PITA but it can be done. I've worked as the head of an IT department in an engineering firm, and been denied work at the local Home Depot! So basically it's a gamble on finding an employer that will work with you. Right now, the only job I have been able to find is one where I work 16 hours a day and get paid for 40 because I'm salaried and exempt. Want to talk about hurting your family life? My wife and kids hate that I only see them on the weekends but I have no other choice in the matter because no one else in this town will hire me.

So, good luck on finding that needle in a haystack.
    infrared_5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brneyes798
    Do companies have the right to exclude a candidate from a job position based on a felony conviction?

I was recently hired by an IT consulting firm to do a software deployment for a major bank. The consulting firm investigated my background, after I had fully disclosed the information to them. They found that my record SINCE the offense had been excellent and my references highly recommended me. They spoke with me personally about the details and circumstances of the offense and deemed that the nature of the offense and the time since the offense were not enough to keep them from hiring me for the position.

Their client, (the major bank), on the other hand, did no investigation, no personal contact, no nothing, except see that I have a felony conviction on my record from 14 years ago and immediately denied my presence on the project.

I freely admit to a mistake. I have gone on with a productive life and a proven track record since that time. How long do I have to pay for a mistake? Do I have ANY recourse in this matter? I have investigated having the conviction expunged from my record, only to be told that it was not possible due to my age at the time of the conviction. All I want is to provide a decent life for my wife and children. Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Frustrated
    Im having the same problem currently. I am stuck in construction with no opportunity for advancement. I wish I could help you. If you come across anything post it.
    Romey1982 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
    I am going to be in the same boat but I am going back to college for Construction management, will I have a hard time trying to find a job in that field?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Hello Romey:

Yup, you're going to have a hard time too. What? You think there IS a field where a felon WON'T have a hard time??

That doesn't mean you can't get hired. It just means you have to work harder for it. BFD.

excon

Aug 3, 2007, 06:08 PM
    So what should I do? I am going to be convicted on a white collar crime(the ing US Attorney isn't let me offer on this) and from what I heard I can still go to med school because the med review board in most states will give you a chance.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romey1982
    So what should I do?
    Hello again, Romey:

I don't know, dude. Doctor or construction?? Let's see - I'd choose doctor. However, before I invested in 8 years of school based solely on what I "heard", I'd check out the state medical requirements BEFOREHAND.

excon

Aug 3, 2007, 06:25 PM
    From what I have read most states will let you practice(I want to live somewhere on the west coast) and in California they are super easy as long as you didn't kill anyone because spending 8(in my case 6 plus residency)years in college is showing social change. So why not? I guess I just answered my question...
    vietboy714 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 01:25 AM
    There are different types of felonies in the U.S. Its true that you can expunge a felony after 7 years if its state. A federal felony is there for LIFE, unless the President pardons you, which never happens.
    jacjir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Have felonies for drug possession and breaking probabtion - have found it impossible to find a tech rep job or to get an apartment. Is there any help for this? Have been clean since January '06.
    acw Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 09:47 AM
    There are many injustices in the criminal justice system. We have to change them, or live with them.

Living with them is difficult, but they are what they are.

The solution to living with them is to avoid any conflict with them when possible. This means getting into a field that doesn't really care about them.

To my knowledge the following types of work are available and achievable to those with a felony conviction.

-Medical; for the most part,unless you intentionally physically hurt another person you can get licensed in this field.

-Blue Collar: Various positions.

-Technology- that does not involve personal or vunerable information.

-Sales-

And more...

Keep the faith... and remember... there's always someone who's in worse shape than you... so count your blessings everyday...
    nazukeoya Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Do companies have the right to exclude a candidate from a job position based on a felony conviction?

I was recently hired by an IT consulting firm to do a software deployment for a major bank. The consulting firm investigated my background, after I had fully disclosed the information to them. They found that my record SINCE the offense had been excellent and my references highly recommended me. They spoke with me personally about the details and circumstances of the offense and deemed that the nature of the offense and the time since the offense were not enough to keep them from hiring me for the position.

Their client, (the major bank), on the other hand, did no investigation, no personal contact, no nothing, except see that I have a felony conviction on my record from 14 years ago and immediately denied my presence on the project.

I freely admit to a mistake. I have gone on with a productive life and a proven track record since that time. How long do I have to pay for a mistake? Do I have ANY recourse in this matter? I have investigated having the conviction expunged from my record, only to be told that it was not possible due to my age at the time of the conviction. All I want is to provide a decent life for my wife and children. Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Frustrated
    How I Got A Job As A Felon:

I recently was sentenced in August/2007 for software piracy, putting a felony on my record. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in Graphic Design.

2 months after I was sentenced, I was offered a job doing graphic design work for a prominent dentist office in my area. I told them of the felony and explained what happened and they were OK with it in the end. The #1 reason I got the job was because of God. I give Him all the glory. But even with God's help, I had to put the effort into getting the job. This was my strategy:

First impressions. I knew that there is a prejudice against felons. So I knew that the only way past this prejudice was to have the employer meet me as a person, and get them to like me. I acted nice and curteous to them. I knew that if their first impression of me was of a nice and talented guy, then when I told them of my felony, instead of viewing my felony through their prejudice, they would view my felony through my good first impression.

The problem is that on normal job apps you have to put down the felony. So what I did was apply to places where I just had to email them a resume, no application. So I got a call, interviewed, they offered me the position, I gave them a yes 2 days later and told them of the felony then, a week later they called to say that everything checked out well.

Manipulation is the key. Go for jobs where you don't have to send in a normal application. That way you can choose the right time to tell them of the felony. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Hello again:

I'm absolutely certain that any job I got after my conviction, was gotten BEFORE I told them about the conviction.

excon
    FallenFromGrace Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Feb 13, 2008, 11:06 PM
    Ok, excon has me rolling with laughter.. has anyone read his "additional information"? With a sense of humor like that, no wonder he is employed. :p
    jalfaro37 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 02:18 PM

Frustrated
    Try going to clearmyrecord.com
    I wish you well. I know what it's like to be in your shoes. Lost a lot of good offers that way
    James321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 09:54 PM
    What you can do is talk to the public defender or a Private Attourney and see if you can motion for an expungement. It's a pretty standard motion. I definitely can feel your pain. I too have a felony for GT from a person. Wrong place wrong time wrong friends kind of thing, but it is like a black cloud hovering above my life. I still have the felony and am motioning for the expungement. Since the conviction I have been a Mortgage Broker financing peoples $1,000,000. Estates. For the last 3 years. Not once have I ever thought about taking someone's identity or SSN. I have had thousands of SSN's pass through me and have access to even more peoples Identity's. I would never even consider taking someone's identity no matter how bad things got. The way I see it is if you say you have never done anything wrong in your past then you are full of it. There's no such thing as a Saint out there. I guarantee I have more Integrity then most of White Collar America.
    ESL Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck

Unless it is for one of the protected classes, a company can not hire for any reason they wish
    We should change that and make people with criminal convictions protected classes.
    Why?
    For many reasons, but the most important is that it gives motivation and insensitive to people that make the mistake of breaking the law. If we do not make allowance for second chances, we cannot then claim that crime is a "personal choice" when people are predetermined to be in a permanent status of "criminal."

Also - for public safety reasons in that employment is the best form of criminal rehabilitation that steers people away from recidivism. This translates into less crime and less victims. I have heard it said that most ex-offenders coming out of prison make the most hard working and loyal employees, as they don't want to return to a life of crime.

Last, a society that is based on justice believes in second chances and that the punishment must end. Not only should people with criminal records be protected classes, there are issues of human rights and the permanent exclusion of people from society based only on criminal convictions. The problem is that data technology on criminal records to easy to access and policy with regard to criminal conviction discrimination has not caught up with the proliferation of the technology. And - those that access records often can't tell the difference between "simple misdemeanor battery" and "sexual battery on a child under 12."

Also - protected status is needed, as ANY criminal conviction is now used as the basis for discrimination on based on criminal record. I my state, Wisconsin, the discrimination against a person with a record must be based on the necessity to discriminate, such as keeping those convicted of "sexual battery on a child under 12" from working in a day care center. However, we should have no problem with someone convicted with burglary with working in a day care center, as the conviction is irrelevant to the occupation.
    stanjj2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ESL
    We should change that and make people with criminal convictions protected classes.
    Why?
    For many reasons, but the most important is that it gives motivation and insensitive to people that make the mistake of breaking the law. If we do not make allowance for second chances, we cannot then claim that crime is a "personal choice" when people are predetermined to be in a permanent status of "criminal."

Also - for public safety reasons in that employment is the best form of criminal rehabilitation that steers people away from recidivism. This translates into less crime and less victims. I have heard it said that most ex-offenders coming out of prison make the most hard working and loyal employees, as they don't want to return to a life of crime.

Last, a society that is based on justice believes in second chances and that the punishment must end. Not only should people with criminal records be protected classes, there are issues of human rights and the permanent exclusion of people from society based only on criminal convictions. The problem is that data technology on criminal records to easy to access and policy with regard to criminal conviction discrimination has not caught up with the proliferation of the technology. And - those that access records often can't tell the difference between "simple misdemeanor battery" and "sexual battery on a child under 12."

Also - protected status is needed, as ANY criminal conviction is now used as the basis for discrimination on based on criminal record. I my state, Wisconsin, the discrimination against a person with a record must be based on the necessity to discriminate, such as keeping those convicted of "sexual battery on a child under 12" from working in a day care center. However, we should have no problem with someone convicted with burglary with working in a day care center, as the conviction is irrelevant to the occupation.
    Everything here is true, which is something that our legislatures need to consider. First and foremost consider this. Did you know under the Fair Consumer Reporting Act that no information dating past 7 to 10 years can be reported to anyone? This does include convictions dating older than seven years also. But guess what, us as "criminals" still have to announce these past convictions even though they will not show up in a CRA. My solution to this matter is that if the information is older than 7 years and can not be reported then the individual themselves should not be allowed to announce it. Perfect example why: some companies do a credit check to look for financial problems etc.. Well for some financial problems can be a big deal, and lead to multiple bankruptcies. Well gues what, after 10 years those bankruptcies don't show up. But when employers ask about them they generally ask in the last 10 years have you filed bankruptcy, not in your life time. I think the same should follow for past convictions. If a individual can stay crime free for seven years, then that individual should be deemed a citizen who deserves to live a life like anyone else without society having to know about the skeletons buried in the closet.

Go talk to your legislature, and fight and fight and fight and fight. THere needs to be a stand, and coalition to form and speak about this. This will be the only way to get some sort of resolve to this.
    dhoffm1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 11:36 AM
    James321:
    If you still read this forum, please let me know what state you are in. I have a friend with mortgage experience, but a 2005 conviction. He's been looking with no luck for 6 months, after being cut from his previous employer due to the economy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DOJ Dismisses Felony Tax Prosecution with prejudice. [ 1 Answers ]

On May 12, 2006 in Peoria, Illinois, the attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) begged the court to dismiss all charges against IRS victim Robert Lawrence in federal District Court. The motion for dismissal came on the heels of a surprise tactic by Lawrence’s defense attorney Oscar...

Living in MD working DE [ 1 Answers ]

In Nov. 2005 I permanently moved form California to Maryland and started a new job right away in DE, while being a resident of MD. My question is do I need to file state taxes for each of these three states separately. The last couple of years I have used Tax Act and Turbo Tax without any...

Paid here, not living here... [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my inquiry is the following. I arrived to the US under a H1B visa in March 05, and worked here (paid by a US company in an US account) the whole year. In a couple of weeks I will be coming back to Europe (indefinitely), but for at least a year the US company will keep paying my salary in my...

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

Living Organisms [ 1 Answers ]

! List and briefly discuss the properties consistent with living organisms. (these are the fundamental criteria which must be met to consider a substance to be "alive") :o

View more questions Search