Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sitony Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 10:30 AM
    3 handle shower faucet replacement
    I just purchased a three handle shower faucet to replace my older worn out three
    Handle shower faucet. The new faucet came with a new brass shower three way diverter to be installed. Is there any way to use my existing three way shower diverter that is in the wall from my old faucet and adaptor that to the new three
    Handle shower? I'm trying not to open up my walls if possible?

Tony
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Tony:

If the valve is "older worn out three handle shower faucet" on the outside, I'm willing to bet it is worn out or close to worn out on the inside as well. So I don't advise you to just replace the trim (never mind that parts will never swap out 100%).

You can rebuild the old valve by removing seats, installing new washers and purchasing new trim for the valve (see picture below... note the tools at bottom right.. you will need these tools to re-build your valve).

You would probably need to bring trim and one of the stem units (see pic #2)with you to a local PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE. They should be able to identify parts/name brand, etc.

I also threw in another parts picture with more "compact" view of things. See attached image: shower valve.pdf

Re-building valve may be best solution. Let us know what you think... Mark

If this answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you

Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Shower Valve.pdf (102.0 KB, 673 views)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
    You are asking if it's possible to leave your old valve body in place and just change out the stem and washer assemblies. Correct? I hate to rain on your parade but you should have contacted the original shower valve manufacture and purchased replacement parts for the valve in place. If you want to use the new one you're going to hafta remove the old valve. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Shower - Moen Single Handle Faucet [ 38 Answers ]

I've read most of the questions on this website about this matter, but I'm still confused. I pulled off the handle and wall plate. But what do I do after that? I see a small (4 inch approx.) hole in the wall with a "unit" that looks like a cartridge that holds the handle. I can turn it to hot...

Shower handle replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace a valve for a shower. The handle mixes the hot and cold but I do not see a name on it. There are several numbers 062N1275 05 96 and it does say made in Canada. Also T = 11 and LM26691 Can you help me?

Need to replace broken shower faucet handle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 handle shower faucet system. The hot water handle recently broke off just leaving the metal shaft with a phillips head screw at its end. If I turn this screw counterclock wise to remove it, the hot water turns on. What is my procedure to remove and replace this handle with a new one? ...

Unusual shower handle replacement [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I need some help! I just bought a house built in 1969 in which the previous owner merely updated the bathroom by putting new tile leaving all existing plumbing fixtures. The clear plastic handles that look original, have cracked and no longer turn the water on and off. I went to...

Shower handle replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing my whole shower. There is a shower head and a handle. I've removed the handle and note a round copper stem with a flat bottom, sticking out from the center of the hot/cold connector. It is about 1/4" diameter. Is this a standard set up? Will any replacement valve fit on it or are...

View more questions Search