Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbyaltima Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Temp. Gauge P0420 Nissan Altima
    Hello All,

I have few concerns with my Nissan Altima 2000 GXE...
    The check engine light has started glowing and then I took it to Autozone and they told me the code is P0420. They told me to change the Catalytic Converter.
    I went to Advance Auto parts to confirm (just to double check) and they asked me to change the O2 sensors.

I would like to mention that my temperature gauge is not working properly. It fluctuates up and down. Please suggest me what is the right thing to do now... Do you think the code showed up due to the bad temperature gauge or is it O2 sensor related??

Thanks so much for your help... Many Thanks in advance...

Bobby
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 01:47 PM
    P0420 relates to the catalytic converter functioning below it's designed threshold. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses O2 sensor data to make the determination, so have a qualified technician diagnose the sensors, just in case they are providing faulty readings.
    As for the temp gauge fluctuation, that is unrelated to the trouble code, but still needs diagnosed. Some movement is normal.
    Good luck, Bobby. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No heat/erratic temp gauge [ 10 Answers ]

I own a '97 Chevy Monte Carlo. I'll try to make this as brief as I can. About two weeks ago I noticed that my warning light for high temp was lit. I was shocked because I had only been in the car 10 minutes. But then it started to go down. Then it was kind of floating up and down. Also, I...

Nissan altima [ 4 Answers ]

The "service engine soon" light came on my 2001 nissan Altima without any warning. The car drives great. What Can be causing the light to come on?

92 honda prelude fuel and temp gauge not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 92 honda prelude and the fuel and tempature gauge want come on or do anything it use to work after I put the new motor in I know a pretty good bit about honda and I can't seem to figure this one out

Nissan Altima [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help finding parts for nissan altima.

View more questions Search