Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandinicole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Child custody
    In August of this year my daughter went to stay with her grandmother to go to a private school. At the time I believed everything was fine. Since then my mother has not allowed me to see her or speak to her. It's been a long time since I've even been able to talk to my mother. A month after she was there I received a call from child protective services. They completed their investigation and of course found nothing. I later found out that my mother had been the one to call them and told them things that were very much untrue. To make a long story short she told them that she had custody of my child. I have never signed anything giving her custody. 6 years ago she had temporary custody but that was over a year later and my child has lived with me for any years since that time. My question is could any one help me to find out if she has went behind my back and somehow gotten custody or what. I want my child and I really don't know what else to do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 11:34 AM
    If she claimed she did not know where you where she could try,

In general if you are haivng this much issue, go to where your daughter is, get her and bring her home with you. If the grandmother did get legal custody she would have a court order but I doubt if she has done that yet,
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
    I agree with Fr Chuck.

Go pick up your daughter and take her home with you.

If your grandmother does have LEGAL custody, she would then come with a court order to get the child back, in which case you would then have to go to court.

My guess, grandmother doesn't have legal custody.
    Sosdog Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2006, 12:22 AM
    There is no way that she would be able to gain custody without your knowledge unless you have had no contact with the child for 1 year. Then she can try to 'adopt' the child and terminate parental rights. Doesn't sound like this is the case. The Friar is correct. Go and pick up the child if you feel you need to and if your mother will not allow it, then simply call the police. It is a federal offense (unlawful confinement) to hold anyone against their will, and as long as she is a minor, your will is her will.

Just one warning, if the police get involved, there will be an ivestigation. You will have no choice in this, once the police are called in the law states that they must stay involved until resolved. You say that your mother has your child and won't give her to you and has been denying contact, then you call the police, then she gives up the child and you say to the police 'well, thanks but I don't need the police anymore.' doesn't work like that.

Sos
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 11, 2008, 12:07 AM

Go get her bring her birth certificate with you just in case and stop contact with your mom sounds she has a few screws loose... Be up front talk to he cops cps do what ever you have to do to clear your name so you can make your child safe and unsure that won't happen again,,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody [ 6 Answers ]

Can any one give me some avice on child custody?I have sole custody now and the mom is taking me back to court and is asking for full custody.she has been court order to see child on wensdays and every other weekends. She has taken our son two time in last 60 days.how do I keep the sole...

Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in BC, Canada. I have been in a commonlaw relationship for 6 years now. I have recently found out my partner had slept with someone else 2 years ago. His family has been mentally and emotionally abusive to me and he is an alcoholic. I don't want our daughter around his family at all. ...

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My step daughters mother is tell her daughter that when she turns 16 (shes 5 now) that she can move in with her ( we have full cousty)... I thought this was up to a judge and not the child... can some one tell me if this is true?. Katrina

Child custody [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-husband lives in Arkansas and has custody of my 12 year old daughter. She wants to come back to Virginia to live with me. She has made that clear to him and has even told him that when she comes to Virginia this summer that she is not coming back to Arkansas. She wants me to support her in...

View more questions Search