Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Removing stripped screws
    Hello. I have to remove screws that are totally stripped from an exterior storm door to replace the door. What is the best way, and tools, to go about doing this?

Thank you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Pick up a damaged/stripped screw remover kit from a local hardware store. They're fairly common:
    damaged OR stripped screw remover -
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Are these the wood screws on the exterior of the frame and by "stripped" do you mean that the heads are mucked up? If so these are aluminum and are very soft? That's why the heads are mucked up. Cut the heads of with a hammer and a small wood chisel.
    honesthelmer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 04:02 PM
    If the chisel will not do it try to drill the head off. Start with a small bit to keep the hole centered. You could even pull it with a cats-paw. A grinder will also take the head off and flush up the remainder.
    Happy door hanging.
    Helmer
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Cut a slot with a Dremel tool.

Apr 21, 2008, 04:40 AM
    Tha dremel will be a frustration if the screws are indeed the aluminum round heads stroud mentioned. Those do chisel off very easy.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Probably true.

Removing stripped screws is always a frustration.

I had one interesting removal problem. I had nylon thumbscrews holding in the screen and/or glass in a storm door and the heads of a few were removed. I used one of the "dental-like cutters" to put a small slot in about 10-24 stud. It then removed with a small screwdriver.

Apr 21, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Very nice. That procedure requires great skill!
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 07:40 AM
    I'm totally ambedexterous. I can write script left hand, right hand, forward and mirror image.
    I use what hand is convenient

Thanks for the complement.

1/4" diameter hole cutters work well when the heads are sheared off and you wand to replace the screw in the same hole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced liner now skimmer screws are stripped [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced a liner very old pool had brass screws and brass skimmer plate found 4 screws are stripped how to fix without replacing entire skimmer. Won't need to repair until spring when my customer will open his pool. Thank you Mike

Removing screws in old Stanadyne shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove highly resistant screws within an old Stanadyne shower faucet?

Stripped screw [ 1 Answers ]

I asked the question yesterday about what to do if you have a stripped screw and can't get it out. I went to the hardware store and they told me to buy a screw extractor set so I did. I have tried to use it but I am not having any luck. Any ideas?:(

Stripped my hair, now what? [ 2 Answers ]

Almost a year ago I had highlights done to my hair before then and wanted them to get removed in Sept 2006. So I had my hair dyed professional to my natural color which is a dark brown (I have naturally very tan skin) and the color came out perfect! From then until now, the color has faded and...

Stripped stem [ 1 Answers ]

Cold water handle spins because stem is stripped; how do I repair this

View more questions Search