Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moscheese Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Ex says sign over parental rights or else!
    Hello,

I am currently a single dad of a six year old boy. I met, and married a woman, and had a child with her. About 4 years ago, she took this child to Florida, (I live in Oregon) divorced me and I haven't seen him since. She immediately filed for child support at $500/mo,plus health, dental, and life insurance coverage. Due to my income, I can't afford that, plus take of my other son. We had made a verbal agreement in which I can afford, and have been paying for 4 years. She never sends me a picture, nor talks about him to. She has even said that her goal is to erase me from their lives, except in child support.

Recently, she told that if I don't sign over my parental rights, she is going to enforce the original child support order despite my attempts at paying support. If she does, $500/monthly, plus all those insurance coverages will surely leave me on the street. I only make 1400 a month. Take away the basic living expenses, that leaves me with nothing for other son.

I have considered signing away my rights, it would cost a fortune just fly across country to see him, and she basically has taken him, and secluded him away everyone. I have considered this but first I need to know this. If sign rights away, am I still obligated for child support. I have a feeling that she is doing this to the best of both worlds; receiving child support plus me not having rights.

My question is this: Am I still obligated for child support order if I sign rights away? Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 04:06 PM
    First not sure what TV talk show or grocrey store news paper she is getting her legal advice from, or where you were getting yours when you stopped paying court ordered child support.

But first signing over rights, ( even if a judge would allow it) does not stop your child support, it merely stops you from seeing the child, or having a say in their life ( guess you already did that by yourself)

So she can still go after full child support if you sign over your rights, unless she has a new partner that is wanting to adopt.

Next each state has its own rules as to child support but it is figures on you as it is on everyone as a percent of your income, if you have a job that funishes insurance, you can be often required to furnish it though your work, but insurance for a child is not much well less than 100 if you have to pay it out of pocket.

But no she can still come after full child supoprt, you need an attorney and file a motion to re-look at your support payments due to your income, and also work out a long visit for the child to come to you in your state during the summer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I sign away my parental rights to my baby [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a baby 4 days ago and I let the baby's father and his wife take the baby home from the hospital. I want to know how to go about signing away my parental rights to the baby so the baby is all thiers and I will no longer be responsible for the child in any way.

Sign over parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How can I and will it help that she recently married?:confused: >Moved from Forum Help<

How to sign off fathers parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend wants to sign off his parental rights how do he go about doing this?

He wants to sign over my parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

Before my husband and I met he dated this girl who told him she was on birth control and everything else. Well she got pregnant and he left for Iraq, he tried to be a part of the babies life then but she told him it wasn't his and she wanted nothing to do with him. He got out of the military and...

Can I sign off my parental rights [ 27 Answers ]

I have 2 kid that live in Washington state and I live in houston I want to sign off my rights can you do that or not I was told the only way was if my ex wife got married and the man wanted to adoped my 2 kids can anoy help me with this

View more questions Search