Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Obie3006 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Unknown Garnishment
    My employer received a court ordered wage garnishment for me today. The receptionist who opens the mail told me that it arrived, and asked me if I was expecting it. Our HR person disciplined the receptionist and told her that no one should have told me. Doesn't my employer have to tell me that money is going to be taken out of my paycheck?:(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 11:27 AM
    No, they are not obligated to tell you. They can, though, tell who the creditor was.
    Obie3006 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
    But will they get in "trouble" for telling me? This is a close enough office that I would have thought they should tell me.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
    I don't see how they can get into trouble, surely there is a legal requirement to tell you... if only because you would suddenly have a surprise reduction of salary. In the UK, they couldn't even do this without a court order and you would be entitled to seek to defend it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
    It will vary by state, in TN for example you are to be notified by the company doing the garnishment prior,
    But it is not really wrong to tell you, but then they are not suppose to be discussing this outside of HR and management

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Unknown [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to run down a TV movie I saw many years ago. This was yet another movie about a nuclear attack. The movie had a touching scene at the end where one of the films leads was finally able to get back home, only to find his mothers' dress on their bed, covered with dust (meaning of course...

Unknown [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what to do with my ex.He broke up with me. Since apparently we were to busy. But yet he stares at me all the time ,and has a different girl every week. He tells them that they are no apparently to me. What should I do?:( :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Unknown [ 3 Answers ]

:( :confused: See I'm with my boyfriend now and I do not trust him but I do not trust myself at that.. I got some problems that I do not know how to deal with nor fix them.. It's driving me crazy... I need to get rid of these problems so that I don't start anymore arguments with my boyfriend and...

View more questions Search