Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jakymec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Smell in the Basement
    Hi!

I am currently looking into a new home. Upon visiting I noticed a smell, quite similar to stale water coming form the basement. The current owner explained that it was due to the toilet not being flushed often enough therefor not draining the macerator pump. The toilet is below sewage level therefor a macerator pump is used.

Is there any way other than flushing the toilet that can help get rid of the stench? More importantly, can it be a more serious problem and not the macerator pump at all? What would be the best advice to ensure that there is no lingering smell - to be rid of it for good?

Jakymec
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2008, 07:20 AM
    can it be a more serious problem and not the macerator pump at all? What would be the best advice to ensure that there is no lingering smell - to be rid of it for good?
    This could be a vent problem if the dedicated vent frpm the pit is tied back to the house system. Check the pit seal and the dedicated vent. Let me know! Regards, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
    I would not accept the owners statement. There is something more wrong than a toilet not being flushed enough. If it were that simple wouldn't he flush is several times before showing the house? Follow Tom's suugestions but, since this is not your home, yet, you need to work with the current owner. At this time this is his problem, not yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Urine smell in basement [ 13 Answers ]

Today I went down into our basement and smelled an intensely ammonia-like almost urine smell. I investigated a bit and found no obvious leaks, burst pipes, etc. and am stymied. We generally have a moisture issue in the basement, which we have not addressed in the 3 years we've lived here, but...

Smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr new construction house with grinder pump in basement.after 2-3 washing machine uses,the smell appears in the basement.. its a ranch style home with all p traps installed and 3 roof vent s... smell does not appear to be coming from pump itself,but is contained to the 1/4th basement...

Basement drain smell [ 3 Answers ]

I own an old house (1910) in downtown Indianapolis. I don't think I have a septic system, I think my pipes run to the city sewage. The drain in my unfinished basement (where my A/C condensation drains to) smells horrible! It has a bit of standing water in it but never overflows. Now my first...

Smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty...

View more questions Search