Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christopher_slade Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2004, 04:40 PM
    Earthquakes and tidal forces
    There have recently been two large earthquakes in California and Iran. They occurred at a time when Earth was close to perihelion. It was also close to a New Moon. Could there be a connection? Is there any correlation between earthquakes and astronomical movements?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2004, 05:10 PM
    Re: Earthquakes and tidal forces
    Yes there is. Just as the sun and moon pull the oceans toward them creating a bulge of water one place and lower in the other, so their gravitation disturbs rock at a fault. So if a mass of land is under stress, and wanting to slip, it is more likely to do so when the sun or moon is pulling in the same direction. I am not sure the phase of the moon has much to do with it, just the position in relation to the strained rock.
    christopher_slade Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2004, 02:47 PM
    Earthquakes and tidal forces
    Thanks for your reply, Labman.
    The phase of the moon might be relevant because at New Moon the lunar gravitational pull is exerted in the same direction as the Sun's and so the effect would be greater than at a gibbous phase. However, I was wondering whether, statistically, earthquakes, along their fault lines, are essentially random and unpredictable events or whether there has been shown to be a triggering effect by tidal forces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics (Current and Parallel Forces) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi HelpDesk: Please I need help how to figure out these problems: 1) An auto engine of mass 295Kg is located 1.0 m from one end of a 4.0 M work-bench. If the uniform bench has a mass of 45.0Kg, what weight Must each end of the bench support? 2) There is a graphic like:

Earthquakes [ 1 Answers ]

:-/ Is there a earthquake fault line in the state of Pennsylvania ?

View more questions Search