Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacihaase Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Can I break an apt lease due to terminal illness?
    My mother lives in Oregon. She has been diagnosed with cancer and had a recent episode which has left her unable to take care of herself. I've been told that we cannot get out of her lease which was just renewed. She's lived in the same apartment for the last 8 years.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 09:33 AM
    There is nothing in Oregon law regarding terminal illness as a valid reason to terminate the lease early, though I think there should be.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is notify the landlord that she is going to terminate the lease on xx-xx-xxxx date. The best case scenario would be if she knows of ANYONE who might be interested in renting her old apartment?

The key issue is that yes, she will be responsible for the rent, but only until the apartment is rented again. If she knows someone interested, she should have them inquire to the property owner in writing, about renting that specific apartment.

In the absence of a prospective renter, you need a way to monitor the property, perhaps a friendly neighbor, or checking it out yourself so that you know when it has been re-rented.
    That is where her responsibility for the rent ends.

Here is a link, with a lot of information specific to Oregon tenant laws.

Tenant Education

Good Luck!
    srod Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 09:38 AM
    I was just looking up info about breaking leases. Basically, it seems that you must check the contract and see what circumstances are allowed in order to break a lease. If there is not an allowance to break the lease, then you may want to try to negotiate with the landlord. If your landlord is unwilling to negotiate after having a good tenant for 8 long years, you may want to become vocal/public about your circumstances. It may benefit you also to seek legal counsel which may help you better negotiate. I wish you and your mother luck and health.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Unless there is a provision in the lease which allows early termination, no, your mother cannot break the lease for being ill. Check her lease for an early termination clause, but bear in mind, it's likely to carry hefty fees. If the lease allows subletting, she can sublet the remainder of her lease out to someone else, but not all leases allow this. Hiring legal council will do no good without any of these provisions - the lease is a legal, binding contract, and illness is not a reason to terminate.

If she's been a tenant for 8 years, you should contact her landlord directly and politely ask if there is anything they can do for you. If she's been a good tenant, they might be willing to work with you in letting her out of the lease early.

Oh, and becoming vocal about the situation will do nothing. A lease is a lease, and laws are laws. Exceptions aren't made for people just because they are sick.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I break a lease with only 2 months left in lease [ 5 Answers ]

I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. How can I break my lease.. I only have 2 months left and I have mold in my hallways and in my...

Mental illness vs physical illness [ 6 Answers ]

I need advise on what to do about my older sister. She is 57 years old and has spent most of her adult life in and out of hospitals. Although she does have some real medical problems she constantly complains about her health. She is fairly dependent on pain medications although she denies...

Early termination of lease due to illness [ 2 Answers ]

My mom will be moving into an assisted living residence 198 miles away from her home. She has one month left on her apartment rental lease, will she be responsible to pay it.

Can I break my lease [ 2 Answers ]

Can I as a tenant break my lease and what happens if I do this is a Texas realtors lease

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search