Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Restoring rights?
    Is there any possible way for a father to get his parental rights back after voluntarily terminating them? The father has a good background and terminated them because he hates the mother and was told he could never get the child. The child is in a bad home and is probably going to go into foster care, the mothers background is terrible. I don't think there is anything he can do now, but if anyone knows any information on this please let me know.. thank you... Also since he terminated his rights, does that also mean that his parents have no rights to the child, for visitation or anything?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie12
    Is there any possible way for a father to get his parental rights back after voluntarily terminating them? The father has a good background and terminated them because he hates the mother and was told he could never get the child. The child is in a bad home and is probably going to go into foster care, the mothers background is terrible. I dont think there is anything he can do now, but if anyone knows any information on this please let me know..thank you....Also since he terminated his rights, does that also mean that his parents have no rights to the child, for visitation or anything?

These are questions best asked the Court because I'm not sure if he was totally terminated or not. People who post are often confused about just what the details are. How long ago were his rights terminated?

But if he terminated his rights, he is no longer legally the father and so, I would say he has no say. He could go back and try to get his rights reinstated but the Courts often take the position that these are not puppies to be handed off and then returned, these are children and once that decision is made, it's made forever.

I think signing off on your child, having no interest or responsibility, just pushing the child out of your life because you don't like the mother is not going to sit well with the Court when the attempt to reinstate his rights is made. Makes him sound vindictive and juvenile and he punished the child for the mother's actions. What happens the next time he and the mother get into an argument and he hates her still or again - does he sign off again?

Yes, his termination also terminated his parents in most States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for Restoring old cars [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I get a grant to restore vintage automobiles?

Restoring force [ 1 Answers ]

At the swimming pool, you notice that different people make the diving board bend down by different amounts. Assuming that the diving board behaves like a spring, explain how you could you determine the weight of everybody that used the diving board if you knew the weight of one person who used it.

Restoring a flash drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2.5 gig flash drive that I can no longer access. I'd like to not loose the data on it, but the most important thing is to make the drive useful again. effbee

Restoring saved files [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I backed up some Outlook Express email folders, but the program made me compact them first. I did, and saved them on a backup CD with the file extension dbx. How do I UN-compact them and get them back into Outlook Express where I can read them. excon

Restoring my credit [ 4 Answers ]

I just paid off everything on my credit report that was negative. I have a car loan and a student loan in good standing. Everything else was seriously delinquent , in collections, or an attorney. I have paid it all off, what's the best way to build my credit back up?

View more questions Search