Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyssob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Judgment and more don't know where to start
    Well here is my story, looking for anybody with some advice
    Back in September of 2005 a collection company got a judgment against me (I never received any letters to come to court or anything). At that time they froze my bank account and in order for them to take off the lien they made me pay 1500 of the debt which the actual debt was only 3800 or so, they claimed it was over 5000. I had then agreed to pay 150 a month to clear the debt however I could not make ends meet and therefore had no money to send them. Now my boss got an information subpena, and I'm worried they will put a lien on my account again or try to garnish wages

1) Can I go to court to dispute the judgement and if so how?
    2) is it worth calling the lawyer/collection to try to make a deal ( even though they are ripping me off?
    3) or is there anything else I can do

PLEASE HELP ME
    Thanks all
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Ok, first a 3800 debt can easily be 5000 or more by now, there would be late charges, legal fees and collectioni fees, if they go back to get garnishment or another attachment, most likely there will be new and more fees added.

Yes if the are looking for info on where you work, they are getting ready to garnish you pay.

You may go to court and dispute the judgment, but you will have to show you don't owe the money, which I assume you do owe the debt,

You can try to make another deal, but most likely since you failed to live up to your last one, if you are working, it will be easier for them to get 1/4 of your pay before you do to get their money.

Sorry but I don't really have any good advice except to go to the court where the judgement came from and review all of the papers filed.
    See if there is anything wrong.

Call them up and try to work something out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

Judgment/Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgment on my credit report for October of 2000. This judgment was satified within one month of getting it. The only credit agency that is still reporting it is Equifax the other 2 have deleted it completely from my report. This judgment was filed while I was part of a small corporation,...

Judgment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?

Renewal of Judgment affecting credit? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a debt go bad against me in 1993. In 1995, the finance company got a judgment against me. I decided to wait it out in hopes that it wouldnt' be renewed as it was a very large sum. Unfortuntely, it was renewed against me last month and it was done 2 months before it was required to be...

View more questions Search