Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macnext1 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 02:03 AM
    2 modems (?) - 1 Ethernet Card
    I have a DSL modem and a satellite modem(?). They both require ethernet and I only have 1 ethernet card. I would like to be able to hook both modems up to my system so I can just disable one or the other (when 1 ISP or the other is down) and easily switch between them. From my limited reading it seems like an Ethernet Hub would be the answer. Does that sound right?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:58 AM
    You may do better adding another ethernet card or an ethernet card via USB and configuring the metric for the interface and making it automatic. You would have to connect the interfaces together with a hub or a switch.

From the Microsoft knowledge base:

An explanation of the Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol routes

The connection would be automatic because each interface would have a different gateway configured.
    macnext1 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 04:10 AM
    I read the article you pointed me to. I understood about 1 word out of 10. Sorry for being so dumb. Will a hub work? I can get one off Ebay pretty cheap. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless ethernet LAN network PCI card [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a used (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) & a used (Encore 802.11g wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) from Ebay for my desktop with XP Pro & SP2.I have the instructions & disc for my (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) but the (wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) did'nt come...

PDA Ethernet card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a way to connect a PDA to a wired network using an Ethernet cable. I would like to be able to do this without use of any other computer. I do quite a bit of travelling and the hotels I visit don't always have wireless connections but more often have wired networks in the...

Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find on my PC if I have an ethernet card installed on my PC?

Connect 2 laptop with ethernet card [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have 2 laptop. Each of them has a Ethernet card (I use it to connect to ADSL router to access internet). Can I transfer a file from one lapto to the other through the ethernet card ? I have a cable but I do not how to configure the operation system (Both of them uses Windows XP SP2). ...

View more questions Search