Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennypower Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Apr 16, 2008, 06:46 PM
    3 way switch on 14/2?
    I have 14/2 on both ends of 2- 3 way swtiches. Does anyone know of a way to wire these switches without changing it out to 14-3? THANK YOU!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Have the 14-2 be the travellers. Then hook lights to closest 3 way, The Black/(light wire) goes to common on this three way, and hook up the lights neutral to neutral in box.
    Now you need to get a constant hot to the other 3 way common screw.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 07:02 PM
    There is NO Legal or safe way to make a 3-way work with only a "2-wire" between the switches.
    You CANNOT have the neutral come from one box and the hot from another.

What does this mean?:
    I have 14/2 on both ends of 2- 3 way swtiches.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
    No.
    rygags Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    This does not make any sense! Please explain.
    baseball239 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Had a so called electrician come out and do some wiring for me for 2 3 way switches. He did not use 14/3. what he did was this, a total of 5 wires, 2 switch legs ( for two separate lights) and then 3 14/2 lines from one box over to the other box. I have tried to call hm out to redo this correctly with 14/3 but has not returned my calls, any way to make this work so I can finish my kitchen up?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 10:43 AM

Yes, can you provide some type of diagram showing the boxes involved and the wires between each of those boxes?

Apr 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
    I'm sure I can draw up something.
    How do I get this to you?

Again thank you for your help
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 11:22 AM

If you can draw it up, and scan it, then when you reply, attach the image by clicking on the mountain/sun Icon, it should show up.
    Or take a picture of your drawing, then attach the photo(s)

Apr 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
    Here you go! Not the best but hope it makes sense!

Attached Images

Apr 12, 2011, 02:36 PM
    I know just enough about eletrical to get me in trouble.
    But it seems it should have been 1 14/2 wire going from one box to the next. Then instead of the other 2 14/2 wires they should have been 14/3, seems like I need to try and get another 14/2 pulled box to box or rip all drywall out and redo it the correct way.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 02:53 PM

Identify the 3 pairs of 14-2(different colored tape, numbers or letters)
    Then hook #1 14-2 to the same colored screws on each end of the cable.
    Then hook 2 more 3 ways on each end of cable 2, These 2 pairs are your travellers.
    The 3rd cable will connect to the power from the receptacle on the bottom box and the black will also need to have 2 short pigtails(black wires), each pigtail will connect to the common on each of the 3 ways. You are done with the bottom box. This was the "Hot End" of the 3 ways.
    Now back to the Top Box in the Picture, Connect the whites from the lights to the white on cable #3, And the each black from the 2 sets of lights connects the common of each 3 way(dark screw), this is the "Switched End. The black from cable 3 will get capped off, or that black and white and a ground, can be run to an additional receptacle.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 02:56 PM

I see you posted and left, while I was writing, hope you didn't rip the walls out. Maybe 14-2 is what was available.
    It will work, I will see if I can get a chance to draw this out. Have to go now. Good Luck.

Apr 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
    No I haven't ripped the walls out yet! But I will try what you wrote. A drawing would be great if you can.

Don
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 06:51 PM

Trying to get you the drawing, It says I have to accept scripted windows, I do and it still won't do squat?
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2011, 08:48 AM

[IMG]C:\Users\stratmando\Pictures\4-12-2011 9;44;58 PM14-2,3way.JPG[/IMG]

Apr 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Little confused stratmando. Wire #1 both white and black go to same colored screws? On one switch?

Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Whatever u posted I can't open
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 11:57 AM

This is what Strat is telling you do do. It will work but I'm not sure that it is legal. Plus that's a lot of wires in one box.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Apr 13, 2011, 12:29 PM

HK, can you tell me how to post a picture, I had it in electrical, it has been moved to forums, I want to post a scanned image. Thanks
    Why wouldn't it be Legal?
    HK, here is a link to my problem:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum-...es-570037.html Thanks
    All the Grounds get tied together, we left this out thinking it is understood, if not they need to be connected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

From an Email: ''Dear asklabman, I am a first time house ownere & having an issue with my Honeywell T8112 Programmable Thermostat. Thermostat has two switches for the fan - AUTO FAN & FAN ON switches and three switches for thes system, COOL, HEAT & System OFF modes. Yesterday we turned ON...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Gurus, I am a new house owner & not used to thermostats. We have Honeywell 8112D thermostat. We recently turned ON our Fan switch (in the thermostat). Now the fan is not turning off. It is continuously running even when the system is in OFF & Fan is in AUTO mode. We tried reducing the...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

View more questions Search