Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baseball239 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Finally got the image thanks Stratmando. Now that I can see it visually I understand it better.
    Thanks again, I will try this out in the morning, And yes Grounds are all connected together ahaha!

Thanks Again for your help!
    Will let you know if I got it to work!
    Shouldn't be a problem though!!

Apr 13, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Thank you too HK!! I really appreciate everything both of you have showed me
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2011, 01:09 PM

The Image is from Hk, It seems like for me to get to post an image will a long time at this rate.
    Someone has to be able to answer my question on not being able to post images?
    You will likely have it wired before I get an answer? Take care, keep us posted.

Apr 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
    I will keep you both posted. Yea I just realized the image was from HK. Thank you Both
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 05:47 PM

Strat,

As I'm sure you know, an ac voltage on one conductor will induce a small voltage in another conductor in proximity. Therefore, the need to have the neutral in the same cable as the hot conductor. Since the current in the neutral is traveling in the opposite direction it induces an opposite voltage. The two voltages cancel each other.

When 3-wire cable is used between two 3-way switches, two of the wires are the travelers and the 3rd is either a neutral or a switched leg. Like the neutral, current on the switched leg is moving in the opposite direction, the two induced voltages cancel each other out.

If the travelers are in one cable and the switched leg is in another, the traveler being used will induce a small voltage in the traveler not being used. The switch leg will induce a voltage in the other wire in the other cable.

In the situation described I assume that the wiring has been done and the wall closed up. The induced voltages are very small and given the situation described I personally wouldn't worry about it. I do not think, however it meets code. If the person that did the wiring was an electrician, I don't think I would hire him again. That is unless TK or Stan comes along and tells me I am wrong about it not meeting code.

(From the Ask Me Help File)

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?

A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.

1. Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    2. Compose your question or answer in the window.
    3. Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    4. Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    5. Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    6. Click the Upload button.
    7. Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.

B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.

1. Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    2. Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

If you are like me and use the "Old Skin" the "Additional Options" button is the "Go Advanced" button. When using the "Attach File" method, the image is uploaded from you computer to the AMHD web site and then attached to the end of your post.

If you want to embed an image directly in your post, like this

The image must first be uploaded to the internet somewhere. It can be anywhere as long as you can provide the URL.

To upload am image to AMHD, click on "My Profile", click on "Pictures & Albums", click on "My Pictures" , click on "Upload Pictures".

To embed the image in you post, first go to "My Profile, Pictures & Albums, My Pictures" left click on the image and copy the URL. Then when making you post, click on the image insert button and provide the URL.

PS
    There is a size limitation to posting pictures or images. Best to convert to JPEG before uploading.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 02:46 AM

I see no problem with the wiring, while not how it is normally done.

No different that a two wire switch loop.

Apr 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Strat and HK, The diagram works, however, I am only getting 84 volts to one light, tested at the box 120v but up to the box only 84v. Thank you again for your help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2011, 11:12 AM

We will need to know which light you have 84 volts at.

Seems you have something spliced in series.

Apr 15, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Looking at the diagram it is light on right of diagram
    Again thanks for your help
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2011, 04:48 PM

I would guess a neutral connection?
    Plug an extension cord into a known good outlet with 120 Volts on it, bring to your light and use the cords neutral as a reference.
    If you use the Neutral on the cord and the hot at the light and it is 84 volts, it is the Hot and may be one of the switches or a connection.
    If it is now 120 volts, the neutral is the problem, and check the whites in both boxes, Not the whites that have been taped with black tape on the switches.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 02:00 PM

There are quite a lot of wires there. It is possible you mis-wired a white wire. Some whites wires are neutrals and some are being used as hot conductors.

I have changed the color of the whites that are being used as hot conductors to purple to make the drawing easier to read.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

From an Email: ''Dear asklabman, I am a first time house ownere & having an issue with my Honeywell T8112 Programmable Thermostat. Thermostat has two switches for the fan - AUTO FAN & FAN ON switches and three switches for thes system, COOL, HEAT & System OFF modes. Yesterday we turned ON...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Gurus, I am a new house owner & not used to thermostats. We have Honeywell 8112D thermostat. We recently turned ON our Fan switch (in the thermostat). Now the fan is not turning off. It is continuously running even when the system is in OFF & Fan is in AUTO mode. We tried reducing the...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

View more questions Search