Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ray ramirez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
    I'm just try to learn
    I have a 5 ton unit but the got stuck and my budget can't afford to buy anather 1 so I find one very cheap and havet is a very expirenced ac thech and he told me I can make it wisrk with out any changes okey the one I got now is a5 ton with 10 seer and the coil is also a 10 seer the neww condenser is a 4 ton with 12 seer can I makeit work with out chanenge it the coil I just try to learn
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:27 PM
    First of all you need to be certified to do any refrigerant work. Are you certified and if so what is your EPA number.

Anything can be MADE to work but that does not mean it will work correctly. I do not recommend mismatched equipment and that is what you are trying to do.

To learn this industry you need to go to school pass all the tests get certified and then get 5 to 10 years field experience. I cannot teach you on this board.
    ray ramirez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Yes I am certified I don't haye my number handy is type universal by mainstream I have cash account with century ac in houston tx,I have read a lot but I don't have too much field exxx but I am just only 22
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 09:42 PM
    I would get someone local to show you how to do it the first time around since the pressures will not be ideal and the charge will be different. It will probably work but not the way it should unless you install a expansion valve. Good luck with your project.
    coolmen Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ray ramirez
    i have a 5 ton unit but the got stuck and my budget can't affort to buy anather 1 so i find one very cheap and havet is a very expirenced ac thech and he told me i can make it wisrk with out any changes okey the one i got now is a5 ton with 10 seer and the coil is also a 10 seer the neww condenser is a 4 ton with 12 seer can i makeit work with out chanenge it the coil i just try to learn
    Hay Ray do all of us a Favore and do a load calculation ,then select your equipment per load. Don t start learning and installing half in this hvac industry. Never mismatch equipment. 10 seer equipment is history. Do it right the first time around so us hvac techs won't have to fix your mess
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Apr 18, 2008, 07:50 AM
    And also try to get a better grip on the English language,, makes for better communication
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 06:00 PM
    It should work fine to get you out of a pinch. I agree its not the factory specs per install but it will work. Your not going to have the 60,000 BTU of cooling any more its going to be 48,000. The good side is you just made the 4 ton system work with a higher SEER now that you have more evaporator coil surface.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to learn spanish? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am planning on backpacking around central american with my friend. Although english he was bought up in Costa Rica and speaks fluent spanish, I assume with the spanish accent of Costa Rica. I also go to Spain frequently. So it would be useful to learn to speak and understand spanish. ...

I don't learn anything [ 15 Answers ]

Could you guys help me because when I go to school to learn something I can I keep forgetting everything I even have no change to go out side and play I study hard and I work hard but I can remember not of you ask After 5 min I can just rember it it is so hard for me to keep something to my mind I...

What can I learn? [ 3 Answers ]

Am feeling so sad because of what I did--once my parents scolded me very badly so to hurt them back I started pretending that I have gone mad,I started dancing and talking to myself.They thought that I have gone mad in real and they took me to a doctor. Later I told them the truth that I was just...

How to learn [ 7 Answers ]

I would say education is being valued today... however it's becoming one-sided. Most teachers and educators value the abstract subjects such as math and science and some would go as far as to say that the arts are counter-productive and unessential. Basically, math and science appeals to the left...

View more questions Search